starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Press Programming help

Default Bench Press Programming help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coach, I've repeatedly gotten stuck around 70 to 72.5kg on my bench on HLM for 4 sets of 5 across. Form seems ok. Im just not very aggressive as I bench alone and can't do it in the power rack due to obstacles beside it. What kind of changes should I make? Also do you think I can use Dead-stop Rack Bench as an alternative to bench press? Long term goals are just to press 2 plates, then reassess.

Current Pressing program is like this:
    Heavy: Bench 4x5
    Light: OHP 4x5
    Medium: CGBP 3x5

Weight: 63kg
    Height: 5'3"

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

So are you trying to drive your bench up or your press? If the emphasis is on press change your CGBP to an incline.

I would have you do one top set followed by back off sets and look to drive intensity up on the top set. 70k is kinda low for having exhausted your novice LP so the "3 Questions Would Apply"

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    So are you trying to drive your bench up or your press? If the emphasis is on press change your CGBP to an incline.

I would have you do one top set followed by back off sets and look to drive intensity up on the top set. 70k is kinda low for having exhausted your novice LP so the "3 Questions Would Apply"

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe
    Yeah, I just started doing one top set of 5/3/1 with back off sets recently. The rep changes feel good.

I thought CGBP had more carryover to bench from Practical Programming book. I might try incline after i stall on these.

For the three laws:
    1.I rested around 3mins
    2.I made 2kg jumps
    3.Sleep and nutrition was okay.

Starting Strength Coach

That is correct but you said your long term goal was to press 2 plates. So which is more important to you bench or press?

So you are violating the first two "laws"

3 min is the minimum.

2kg might be too much of an increase. Should have dropped to 1k once bar speed started to slow down.

That is correct but you said your long term goal was to press 2 plates. So which is more important to you bench or press?

So you are violating the first two "laws"

3 min is the minimum.

2kg might be too much of an increase. Should have dropped to 1k once bar speed started to slow down.
    Sorry I meant bench press 2 plates lol. I'm gonna try to increase my rest times from now on, I just get bored during sets.

I have started cycling reps of 5/3/1 with 3-5 backoff sets of 5s for both bench and CGBP. The backoff sets are around 85% of 5s and move pretty fast. I'm also using spotters for the top set so this might help me bust through my plateau. However, my OHP seems to have stalled . I might start using the same scheme for OHP too. I hope I don't have fuckaroundtitis.

Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by pavstar619 View Post
    Sorry I meant bench press 2 plates lol. I'm gonna try to increase my rest times from now on, I just get bored during sets.
    That's what instagram is for.

So long as you are driving progress up on your various top sets then you don't have to worry about fuckarounditis.

starting strength coach development program
    That's what instagram is for.

So long as you are driving progress up on your various top sets then you don't have to worry about fuckarounditis.
    Thanks Coach.