starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat progression starting to stall?

Default Squat progression starting to stall?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm still on Phase 3 of SS, and I squatted 275 lbs for the full 3x5 the other week, and moved up to 280 lbs on the third workout. However I was only able to squeeze out 5 reps the first set, I only managed 4 then 3 on the next sets. I attempted the squat with 280 lbs again tonight, and achieved 2x5, but could only squeeze out 4 reps the third set.
    Does it sound like I'm on the intermediate stage of training now since my progress is stalling? Should I move onto the HLM version of the programme?

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Assuming you are doing everything else right you seem like you are right on the tail end of your novice LP. As such you have a few options (I know, scary to a novice is this concept of choice). Sometimes one top set followed by 2 back off sets works for a couple weeks. Alternatively you could go into intermediate programming such as a four day split or HLM. How old are you?

Intermediate and Advanced Training: A Few Ideas | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    Assuming you are doing everything else right you seem like you are right on the tail end of your novice LP. As such you have a few options (I know, scary to a novice is this concept of choice). Sometimes one top set followed by 2 back off sets works for a couple weeks. Alternatively you could go into intermediate programming such as a four day split or HLM. How old are you?

Intermediate and Advanced Training: A Few Ideas | Mark Rippetoe
    Sorry for the late reply. I'm 20 years old.

The other week I deloaded my squat from 281 lbs to 231 lbs, and worked back up in 20 lbs increments each workout, before getting back up to 270 lbs adding 5 lbs from there on. Just today I squeezed out 3x5 with 275 lbs, but I'm not sure if I could achieve it with 280 lbs next workout. But possibly the workout after...

Someone on the Coaches Q&A suggested making the middle workout a "light" squat day, before doing HLM. Would I benefit from doing that, since I'd still be on Phase 3?

Starting Strength Coach

Agreed on the light day. Take 225x5x3 for your light day.

Agreed on the light day. Take 225x5x3 for your light day.
    Thank you Brent very helpful. Two questions though.

1.) How will I know when to move onto HLM?

2.) I was shown this by someone on Bodybuilding Forum. Is this what HLM should look like?-

Heavy Day
    3x5 Squat
    5x5 Bench
    1x5 Deadlift

Light Day
    3x5 Front Squats
    5x5 Press
    Chin ups

Medium Day
    3x10 Squat
    3x8 CG Bench
    3x3 Deadlift

And also given the sets and reps would the above routine be good for hypertrophy?

Starting Strength Coach

Heavy-Light-Medium | Andy Baker

You don't have a hypertrophy problem yet you have a strength problem. Get your squat up to 405 and you won't have a hypertrophy problem anymore.

You switch to intermediate programming when novice programming and hitting two PR's a week isn't working anymore. Assuming you are not fucking it up. See: The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by KrnxMan86 View Post
    Thank you Brent very helpful. Two questions though.

1.) How will I know when to move onto HLM?

2.) I was shown this by someone on Bodybuilding Forum. Is this what HLM should look like?-

Heavy Day
    3x5 Squat
    5x5 Bench
    1x5 Deadlift

Light Day
    3x5 Front Squats
    5x5 Press
    Chin ups

Medium Day
    3x10 Squat
    3x8 CG Bench
    3x3 Deadlift

And also given the sets and reps would the above routine be good for hypertrophy?
    FWIW...Brent has been spot on with helping me move to the end of my LP. I think that realizing how brutal the end of LP can be and embracing the suck is really important. If you can hit a 4th rep I would be curious if you have a 5th rep in you or not. I know usually if I hit 4 then I am going to do damndest to get that 5th rep.

"Just today I squeezed out 3x5 with 275 lbs, but I'm not sure if I could achieve it with 280 lbs next workout. But possibly the workout after..."

I made that comment last week, and just today I attempted the 280lb squat but only managed 5 reps the first set, then 3, then 1!

I don't know if it was just an off workout day (my bench wasn't too good either), but if not what does this look like for me?

Starting Strength Coach

You can squeeze out another couple weeks of novice LP by going next heavy workout of 285x5, 265x5x2. So one top set followed by two back off heavy sets.

starting strength coach development program
    You can squeeze out another couple weeks of novice LP by going next heavy workout of 285x5, 265x5x2. So one top set followed by two back off heavy sets.
    Can I do the same with bench press since I'm struggling with that too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast