starting strength gym

Thread: Female Training with Scoliosis

Default Female Training with Scoliosis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I've been going at NLP since Jan. 1 and have been loving every second. Im at the point now where i feel like I am starting to get strong. Its empowering...

Squat 3x5 310 lbs room to go
    Bench 3x5 215 lbs room to go, albeit at a micro loading pace
    OHP 3x5 157.5 getting towards the end of NLP (failed @ 150, de-loaded and worked back up and through) Bar is starting to slow significantly.
    Deadlift 1x5 325 lbs

Anyway, you're probably asking why this asshole is listing his numbers if his question was about a female with scoliosis. I am just proud that for the first time I am happy to list my current lifts.

Anyway, onto my question...

My wife has been watching me from afar. After 3 children, 8,5,2, her former petite 5'1 105lb physique is now closer to a softer 120 lb physique. She wanted to start the program.

I was happy and started her off with 2.5 lb jumps as opposed to the 5 lb jumps.

She was training this morning and told me that it was starting to feel heavy and if I was sure it's OK for her to be strength training with these movements, being she has Scoliosis.

I am not sure, and I'm sure if she asked her doctor, whom never picked up a weight in his life, he would say absolutely not. So i figured I'd take it to the forum.

Anyone have some feedback? I'd love for her to continue, but not if it will put her at risk...

Quote Originally Posted by eavdr10 View Post
    So I've been going at NLP since Jan. 1 and have been loving every second. Im at the point now where i feel like I am starting to get strong. Its empowering...

Squat 3x5 310 lbs room to go
    Bench 3x5 215 lbs room to go, albeit at a micro loading pace
    OHP 3x5 157.5 getting towards the end of NLP (failed @ 150, de-loaded and worked back up and through) Bar is starting to slow significantly.
    Deadlift 1x5 325 lbs

Anyway, you're probably asking why this asshole is listing his numbers if his question was about a female with scoliosis. I am just proud that for the first time I am happy to list my current lifts.

Anyway, onto my question...

My wife has been watching me from afar. After 3 children, 8,5,2, her former petite 5'1 105lb physique is now closer to a softer 120 lb physique. She wanted to start the program.

I was happy and started her off with 2.5 lb jumps as opposed to the 5 lb jumps.

She was training this morning and told me that it was starting to feel heavy and if I was sure it's OK for her to be strength training with these movements, being she has Scoliosis.

I am not sure, and I'm sure if she asked her doctor, whom never picked up a weight in his life, he would say absolutely not. So i figured I'd take it to the forum.

Anyone have some feedback? I'd love for her to continue, but not if it will put her at risk...

Just to add, her scoliosis has not been a problem as long as we have been married (10 years) and was not an issue during any of her pregnancies. She was diagnosed with it when she was young. Never really been an issue, but we want to keep it that way.

Rip has written some on training individuals with scoliosis. Depending on severity, obviously, it can be safely done with little to no modification. i don't remember the details, and I don't want to conjure up misinformation so I'll stop there.

For what it's worth, there have been many people affected by scoliosis that became very strong. The name Lamar Gant is worth a google.

I've been looking into this as there's a young teen with scoliosis that's approached me about training. From what I've gathered, the spinal deformity is less stable through the growing years and more stable after all that is done. So, to some degree, and adult is probably "safer" to train. Depending on what segments of the spine are impacted, getting a good valsalva may be more difficult and, depending on how the rib cage cants, a narrower than usual belt may be called for.

It's not unusual for other anatomical anomolies to be present, so watch for limb length variance (which you may be able to shim).

Generally, form is going to be more important to keep controlled. I'd really recommend form checks with an SS coach in person if at all possible.

I've been lifting since I was about 13 and have a mild to moderate case of scoliosis. I can only speak for myself on this matter but when I lift my back is strong and healthy, when I don't lift I have back pain and need chiropractor visits frequently. The biggest concern as stated will be leg length discrepancies. My left is slightly longer than my right due to my pelvis being tilted a bit, I don't shim (I will be soon), I record myself and make sure that things are even and level and that I'm pushing evenly with both legs in my squat and pulls.

Again, this is only speaking from my experience. Starting Strength has kept my back strong and healthy despite my scoliosis. Technique and form checks are very important, a shim may be needed depending on leg length discrepancies.

I am not a medical professional but I do have scoliosis. That said, I didn't know I had it until an x-ray taken before I began my law enforcement career.
    It has never hindered me nor prevented me from participating in sports, lifting or martial arts. (That is not to say that I don't get the occasional muscle pull or twinge from being a bit out of symmetry.)

I once had the opportunity to ask an orthopedic surgeon who was treating a job related injury unrelated to my spine if I needed to do chiropractic or have a "procedure".

He asked, how long have you been doing what you're doing? I said pretty much forever. He said, there's your answer. Keep lifting weights and training. He did recommend that I stop running as it wasn't doing me any favors and he noticed some small spurs on my vertebrae. I was happy to give it up at that point in time anyway.

(The ortho was one who treated members of the Miami Dolphins and Miami Heat so he wasn't someone without pedigree.)

So, from my experience, if one can tolerate the movements and the weight, it doesn't necessarily present a danger to the person with scoliosis. As I say, I never knew I had it until I was told and saw the x-rays.

starting strength coach development program
    I trained a woman with scoliosis a couple of years ago. There were initial issues with shoulder/thoracic flexbility, especially getting into the low-bar position and squeezing up the chest in the deadlift.

For the low-bar squat, her hands started out near the collars and she struggled to get her hands on the bar. However, over time we got her hands on the bar pretty close to her shoulders in a good position with her wrists straight. Paul Horn stretch, etc. were useful in this respect.

For the deadlift, I started her with rack pulls since she struggled to squeeze her chest up when pulling from the floor. My memory is a little faulty, but once we found a height at which she could set her back, I think each session we would either go down an inch or two or we would increase the weight 5 lbs. Eventually she was able to pull from the floor with her back in a good position, and then we just went up in weight every session.

As others have noted above, make sure her form is good as you get going. If there's no SSC near you, posting videos would be helpful.