starting strength gym

Thread: After Meet Weights Feeling Heavy

Default After Meet Weights Feeling Heavy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just completed in my first meet on Saturday. Numbers we're Squat: 170kg, Bench: 115kg, Dead: 175kg. It was weird because everything in the meet felt light and moved fast. Weights that I had struggled with weeks before were easy. All those numbers were conservative with plenty left in tank even though the deadlift in particular was a 10kg PR! Now this week in taking it easy before jumping back into higher volumes next week. A transition week I guess you could call it. Today 125kg Squats and 95kg Bench both for 3x3 and shit feels heavy! Why is this? This weight should be nothing. Still fatigued from meet maybe?

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Congrats on competing in your first meet! It sounds like it was quite successful.

Remember the meet is a long weekend! Especially if you had to do anything different nutritionally. It is completely normal for weights to feel a little heavier than they otherwise would following a peak like this. Additionally you need to build back up the volume a little since as part of a well designed taper you will have backed off on volume leading up to the event.

Don't worry you should be just fine by now.

Today was my first day back to full training and I did 4x5 squat and bench with 125kg and 90kg respectively. Now I'm worried because it felt much worse than last week. It felt heavy, moved slow, and I feel completely drained. It took alot to get through the squats. The squats in particular are 72% of my 1rm so it should be easy. Idk what to do now.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Why don't you give it till the end of the week before you freak out. If your training is still not trending positively by then you might need to get a one on one consult to figure out what's going on.