starting strength gym

Thread: GGw results and some questions

Default GGw results and some questions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I'm 6'2ish, 217lbs, 24y.o, male,bf 16-18%?

I've finished GGW two weeks ago. My results are before/ after in lbs

Bench 270 / ?
    Press 153 /166 (+8.8%)
    Squat 180 / 190 (+5.5%)
    Deadlift 427.5 / 450 (+5.2%)
    BW 213lbs / 217lbs

Ran the program exactly as it is presented, except that I didn't do Rows (did chins instead) and after 3 weeks I
    Felt that doing DL 2 times a week was too much for me. So I did SLDL instead, but I did what I wanted... Weight
    Was 225 - 270lbs for 5.6.4

I benched twice and pressed once per week. Despite training the press 1x/week I made more progress in this lift

In the week that we do doubles, I had form problems with bench, which lead me to do 2x2 then 3x1, my elbow were going down and consequently they were in front of the bar. I had pain in both shoulders. The same form problem happened in the testing day. Only noticed this problem after doing my first workout where light weights were heavier than usual. So I really don't know if i could have progressed in bench. I did 257 for 1 (95% of old 1RM) but then failed the other attempts.

1)I'm in week 2 of KSC powerlifting. Considering that 1RM test day for bench was a shit day, what 1RM would u use? the old plus 5%? something conservative?

Recovery and nutrition
    Recovery was shit (in terms of sleep) and i wasn't eating enough. I tried to reduce calories (-1400 cals in 2 weeks) to see how it feels like if I was doing a Cutting in this program. I felt pretty beat up, I could complete the workouts but I would do nothing in my free time because I was too fatigued. The squat seems to be the lift that fatigue me the most. Pressing was OK.

2) Considering the experience above what could I do if I decide to cut using ggw?

I had a bad attitude in terms of nutrition, I was too scared of gaining weight and I changed my calories intake every
    Week I was eating 3161 cals per day. Now i'm in week 2 of KSC powerlifting and eating 3300 cals per day and my weight does not move at all, i'll increase if it stays the same for the next two weeks

I really enjoyed the program and I recommend it, i'll do it again this year, but maybe increasing heavy sets to 5x5 and doing it in a 4 split.

Could not find the edit option but actually Squats were:

405lbs before / 427 lbs after

Quote Originally Posted by tavccp View Post
    Could not find the edit option but actually Squats were:

405lbs before / 427 lbs after
    I was gonna say "WTF happened to your squat" .

I ran GGW last summer while on a calorie deficit and playing baseball. Had gains on all lifts except bench was flat.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisza View Post
    I was gonna say "WTF happened to your squat" .

I ran GGW last summer while on a calorie deficit and playing baseball. Had gains on all lifts except bench was flat.
    So, seeing your results I suppose that u had no problem doing GGW in a calorie deficit? Would u mind answering my questions?

What was the weekly weight loss you were expecting and actually, 1lb perhaps? How big was the deficit? How did you felt in your workouts?

Quote Originally Posted by tavccp View Post
    So, seeing your results I suppose that u had no problem doing GGW in a calorie deficit? Would u mind answering my questions?

What was the weekly weight loss you were expecting and actually, 1lb perhaps? How big was the deficit? How did you felt in your workouts?
    Started at 6'1" 235. Dropped about 1-2 lbs (as expected) per week down to 210. I used Jordan's " To be a Beast" article to calculate calories/macros. Probably averaged a 300-500 deficit using very high daily protein 225-250 and lower carbs/fat obviously. Never felt bad during workouts or playing baseball as GGW has a very gradual progression. I would say it's ideal while cutting to at least maintain strength and In my case add some lbs to my total.