starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stalling Early on Upper Body (BP & OHP) - Solution??

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jonfla View Post
    So, if it were me, I'd reset your bench by 5-10% and add the extra volume on at least two if not all three days. I'd have that be sets of 8 rather than sets of 5--you've seen lots of fives, and you'll continue to see fives for the main upper body lift every workout. And I'd make sure that you always have 2-3 reps in the tank on those sets, adjusting the weight on the bar if necessary.

The idea here is that your bench failing means that you are not applying enough stress to keep driving it up. Taking a little reset and doing more volume should allow you to: 1) dissipate a little fatigue, and 2) start to apply more stress so you can continue to make progress.

That's how I'd approach it.

Hi, thanks for all your input on these forums! Pretty sure today's 122.5kg DL would've been impossible w/o your input So today I started the following upper body approach you suggested...

Workout A
    Bench x 1 @ +5% from last 5 x 3 sets on LP, then take 15% off the bar for 5 reps x 5 sets
    Press x 8 reps x 4 sets @ -12% from previous press 5 x 3 sets on LP

Workout B
    Press 1 @ +5% from last 5 x 3 sets, then take 15% off the bar for 4 reps x 6 sets
    Close grip bench x 8 reps x 4 sets @ -15% from previous bench press 5 x 3 sets on LP

What do you think it means 'Press x 1 @ +5%' or 'Bench x 1 @ +5%'?

for easy numbers, let's say last time I benched 100kg. So this time do I bench 1 set of 5 reps at 105kg or do I do a single rep at 105kg? It's unclear to me which they mean.

Also, when they say take 15% off the bar to do 5x5 bench... so does that mean take 15% off the 100kg and do 5x5 @ 85kg?

or does it mean take 15% off the 105kg and do 89kg?

The math is a little unclear to me, hoping you have some insight into this.

Maybe I'm overthinking it haha. Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by joemusic View Post
    Hi, thanks for all your input on these forums! Pretty sure today's 122.5kg DL would've been impossible w/o your input So today I started the following upper body approach you suggested...

Workout A
    Bench x 1 @ +5% from last 5 x 3 sets on LP, then take 15% off the bar for 5 reps x 5 sets
    Press x 8 reps x 4 sets @ -12% from previous press 5 x 3 sets on LP

Workout B
    Press 1 @ +5% from last 5 x 3 sets, then take 15% off the bar for 4 reps x 6 sets
    Close grip bench x 8 reps x 4 sets @ -15% from previous bench press 5 x 3 sets on LP

What do you think it means 'Press x 1 @ +5%' or 'Bench x 1 @ +5%'?

for easy numbers, let's say last time I benched 100kg. So this time do I bench 1 set of 5 reps at 105kg or do I do a single rep at 105kg? It's unclear to me which they mean.

Also, when they say take 15% off the bar to do 5x5 bench... so does that mean take 15% off the 100kg and do 5x5 @ 85kg?

or does it mean take 15% off the 105kg and do 89kg?

The math is a little unclear to me, hoping you have some insight into this.

Maybe I'm overthinking it haha. Thanks again!!
    Looks like 1 *rep* for the pr (105kg in this case), then 15% off that (89) for the work sets.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jonfla View Post
    Looks like 1 *rep* for the pr (105kg in this case), then 15% off that (89) for the work sets.
    ok great, that's what I did.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123