starting strength gym

Thread: Second Fail on OHP

Default Second Fail on OHP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So a few weeks back I failed 3 sets of 5 @ 150 lbs. and again on the next attempt. So I dropped 10 percent and microloaded 2.5 lbs back up and through to 160 lbs. This morning was my second failed attempt @ 160 lbs. my first set I was able to complete 4 reps, so rather than try for the next two sets of 5, I went ahead and did 4 more sets of three successfully.

Any experience with 5 sets of 3? Is it an ideal “ next step” for the OHP, or do you prefer another option. I am still progressing on all other lifts , so it’s really just a matter of only programming my OHP for now.

Current lifts
    Squat 3x5 325 lb
    OHP 5x3 160 lb
    Dead 1x5 330 lb (weight is ok, left hand grip starting to go, using chalk, supinated grip not helping)
    Bench Press 3x5 222.5 lb

Male 6’ 220 lbs.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

I think 5 sets of 3 works great on the press. You did the right thing chap.

Ok, thanks Brent. Would 5 sets of 3 be a good transition for bench press as well?

Starting Strength Coach

sure. I find it less useful on bench than press but have been doing it with less testosterone driven lifters to good effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    sure. I find it less useful on bench than press but have been doing it with less testosterone driven lifters to good effect.
    ok. I'm a 38 year old male, what would be a more optimal transition, once NLP has run its course, regarding the Bench press? I haven't had it tested, but I assume (HOPE), that my testosterone is still driving somewhat...

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    What is the threshold for "testosterone driven lifter" in nanograms per milliliter?

Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    What is the threshold for "testosterone driven lifter" in nanograms per milliliter?
    No idea... What I meant by that was people who respond more robustly to a training stimuli don't usually need 5x3 on the bench while running a novice LP because 3x5 usually works quite well to get them strong and get them through their novice LP.