starting strength gym

Thread: Intermediate program setup

Default Intermediate program setup

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I recently switched to a 4 day TM split from the standard 3 day texas method and would like some feedback on how I set it up.
    Stats: (converted from kgs)
    BW 190
    Height 5' 7''
    Squat 330x5 300x5x5
    Bench 200x2 175x5x5
    Deadlift 375x5 330x5x2
    Press 143x2 131x5x5
    Chins 3x8 with 10 lbs, 3x5 with 27.5 lbs

I train Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. My program looks as follows:

Bench Intensity Press Volume Lower Volume Press Intensity Bench Volume Lower Intensity
    Bench 1x5/2x3/3x2/5x1 Squat 5x5 Press 1x5/2x3/3x2/5x1 Squat 1x5/2x3/3x2/5x1
    Press 5x5 Deadlift 2x5 Bench 5x5 Deadlift 1x5/3/2/1
    Chins 3x8 Chins 3x5

I purposely have intensity squat and deadlift on the same day, I found that my pulling was easier this way.
    I have been cycling reps for the bench and the press and I am managing a new PR (at different rep ranges) every week, while on squats and deadlifts I am still setting PRs on my sets of five.
    What do you think of the offset between the volume and intensity weights I am using? I don't go by percentages, I just try to add 2 and 5 lbs to my 5x5 for upper and lower body.
    Also, would I do better with more deadlift volume?
    Does this look reasonable? Any general tips?

I really like power cleans for what you've listed as "Lower Volume", but if you use it is going to depend on a lot of factors.

I think the set up is mostly fine, but I'd increase the chins reps, so like 3x10-12 or if you can muster it, wgtx5x3 on the bench intensity day. I've always been a big fan of doing 3x10 on one day and then 3x5 at a "heavy" weight on another day, but I don't know how effective that is. I just like heavy chins.

I think the "Just add weight every week" to the 5x5s is fine if you don't like percentages. The offset you're already at seems fine. The intensity is going to drive the volume and the volume is going to drive the intensity to a degree, so you can "miss" on one of them on one week and you might find it's more manageable on the next week, but you're also 20 and I don't know your training history, so it also could go either way.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com