starting strength gym

Thread: First Failure

Default First Failure

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

Today I had my first failure and I'm pissed off. I only did 2 reps for my deadlift - I had absolutely no energy left and now have a headache.

I am pretty sure the reason I failed was my nutrition. I noticed that I was getting fat last week, so I (stupidly) cut calories from 3,500 to 2,500 for a few days.

I'm kinda small (around 70kg at 5ft 11in), and only had around 2,000 calories before this program.

To get those calories up to around 3,500 I ordered take-out everyday for the past 2 weeks and ate a bowl of ice cream on top, which is part of the reason I cut my cals.

No surprises, my performance in the gym was dreadful. I was barely getting the bar up for OHP and failed on my DL.

I will be correcting my nutrition again.

My question is: When I decrease my progression weight, should I decrease for all lifts?

A bit of background:

This is my 5th week on the program
    I was progressing 5kg on all lifts, except from the Press and Bench where I progressed 2.5kg.

Lifts:

Squat: 20kg > 75kg
    Press: 20kg > 40kg
    Bench: 20kg > 45kg
    DL: 40kg > 80kg (failed on 85kg today)
    Clean: 20kg > 35kg

Lift: Start > Current

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Cut each progressive increase by half so 2.5 on SQ and DL and 1k on bench and press.

Try not to make such drastic changes in either direction with diet. Santana would be a better person to ask regarding this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    Cut each progressive increase by half so 2.5 on SQ and DL and 1k on bench and press.

Try not to make such drastic changes in either direction with diet. Santana would be a better person to ask regarding this.
    Got it thanks

I've learned my lesson the hard way and I'm going to stick with 3,500 cals. Would love to hear from Santana

Definitely not Santana. But if you're in the US, a milk by the brand Fair Life would be far cheaper than take out everyday. It's "filtered"(whatever that means) so there is actually more protein and less carbs than normal milk. Off the top of my head, 13g per serving for protein and 6g per serving for carbs. Might make it easier on you to control your diet.