starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Lagging

Default Deadlift Lagging

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Due to work issues, i had to cut LP down to 2 days. I have since resumed a 3x schedule. I was only deadlifting exclusively once per week. I am currently squatting 325 lb. 3x5 and 330lb 1x5 on dead. I am thinking about making sure I start Deadlifting twice per week going forward on M and F. Is this a sound approach or is there a better way to approach this? I feel like I am strong enough to pull the weight, but my left hand only, is giving out slightly. I have been using chalk, but maybe its time for straps. Grip strength is important to me, so I don't want to go to them prematurely. I have not lost grip yet, but its starting to move around in my left hand.

What kind of grip are you using?
    Were you making consistent progress on your 1x per week deadlift schedule?
    What were you doing on the other day?

I wouldn't worry about the ratio of your squat to your deadlift. Just make sure you're doing what you need to do to continue making progress on your deadlift.

Both the reverse grip and the hook grip can carry you for good tonnage before you need to consider straps.

I would do the following, in this order:

1) Make sure your squats aren't high. This is often the reason they are close to the deadlift in weight for newer lifters.

2) Check your deadlift technique.

3) Use a hook or mixed grip, if you aren't already.

4) Start pulling more, e.g. a lighter 2x5 on Monday and a heavier 1x5 or 2x3 on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by jonfla View Post
    What kind of grip are you using?
    Were you making consistent progress on your 1x per week deadlift schedule?
    What were you doing on the other day?
    Bump

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rega View Post
    Bump
    Just a traditional overhand grip with chalk, but my right is still solid, my left is much weaker.

I was making steady progress once a week, and i was doing strict pendlay rows on the other day, still am

Quote Originally Posted by eavdr10 View Post
    Just a traditional overhand grip with chalk, but my right is still solid, my left is much weaker.

I was making steady progress once a week, and i was doing strict pendlay rows on the other day, still am
    It seems reasonable to deadlift two days a week for a PR if you’ve been making steady progress up to this point. You could keep rowing on the other day.

As to grip, I’d just say don’t let grip be the limiting factor in making progress. If you need to adopt hook or alternate grip to keep setting PRs, do it. I personally prefer not to use straps to PR, but I think that depends on personal preference and goals.

Quote Originally Posted by eavdr10 View Post

You're eventually going to have no choice about switching to over/under grip, hook grip, or straps for your worksets. No one anywhere pulls 5RMs double overhand, unless you are ok with your RM being determined by grip strength forever. Even if grip strength is your #1 priority, deadlift isn't a particularly effective training method for grip strength.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jonfla View Post
    It seems reasonable to deadlift two days a week for a PR if you’ve been making steady progress up to this point. You could keep rowing on the other day.

As to grip, I’d just say don’t let grip be the limiting factor in making progress. If you need to adopt hook or alternate grip to keep setting PRs, do it. I personally prefer not to use straps to PR, but I think that depends on personal preference and goals.
    eavdr10, this is reasonable advice. You can also power clean, power snatch, light deadlifts, chins and back extensions, or even straight-legged deadlifts as other options depending on goals, age, general athletic ability, and injury history. These are all arguable, however. I am no coach, so take what I have to with a grain of salt.