starting strength gym

Thread: 3 quick hlm questions

Default 3 quick hlm questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    1. For heavy day, what are the pros and cons of 5x5 versus a set of five for intensity with back off sets for volume?

2. Are there pros and cons of putting the all the heavy work on one day versus moving the heavy pull to another day (most likely light day)?

3. I’m 45 years old, and I’m not sure how much longer I want to do power cleans. Already had some foot injuries that have interrupted training and hate having to build back up. Can DE work substitute and, if so, is the programming for it different from that outlined in ppst or barbell prescription?

Thanks for your time.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

1. With 5x5 at top weight you will eventually start to miss reps at the end of the final sets thus you won't be getting the volume in. Initially should work fine.

2. Makes the stress very large (nothing necessarily wrong with that) but logistically it just makes the H day super long.

3. Go ahead and swap out some type of fast pulling lift. Your body will thank you. 8 doubles every other minute if you are doing DE deadlift works well or just barbell rows 3x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    1. With 5x5 at top weight you will eventually start to miss reps at the end of the final sets thus you won't be getting the volume in. Initially should work fine.

2. Makes the stress very large (nothing necessarily wrong with that) but logistically it just makes the H day super long.

3. Go ahead and swap out some type of fast pulling lift. Your body will thank you. 8 doubles every other minute if you are doing DE deadlift works well or just barbell rows 3x5.
    Got it. Thanks