starting strength gym

Thread: Intensity percent for doubles (2x2)

Default Intensity percent for doubles (2x2)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

What intensity percent of 1RM would be appropriate to do doubles when doing 2x2?

Are there any general guidelines for texas method?

I've ordered that one already, i live in sweden so shipment takes some time

In the phase at the moment to switch to doubles from doing 5s and 3s, so i need to know.

I thought you go from one set of 5 to 2 sets of 3 to 3 sets of 2. Either way, it is probably somewhere in the 90-93 percent range. 95 percent would be a close 2RM.

Doubles across would be around 90% for use in training. However, if you are transitioning from 3s in the midst of your programming you don't need a %. Just go up in weight a small amount and do 2s.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Doubles across would be around 90% for use in training. However, if you are transitioning from 3s in the midst of your programming you don't need a %. Just go up in weight a small amount and do 2s.
    Thanks for your answer Andy!

No wonder doubles across was beating me up last friday.. my 3s has been @ about 92% of 1RM and trying doubles last Friday (actually 3 set of 2s @ 93-94%), it actually felt worse than a volume day, decided to drop 2 reps on each set on volume this monday to hopefully bring my fatigue down until next friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    I thought you go from one set of 5 to 2 sets of 3 to 3 sets of 2. Either way, it is probably somewhere in the 90-93 percent range. 95 percent would be a close 2RM.
    I haven't read Practical Programming yet, but i understood it as going from 5s -> 3s -> doubles across (2x2-3) -> 3-5 singles.

But i never did the SS LP program from the starting strength book, i mainly bought the book to better understand and learn the exercises.
    I did hypertrophy training with mostly isolation exercises for about 4-5 years (stupid, i know), started doing the main lifts a year ago, starting off with a powerbuilding split including 5x5 once a week for the main lifts, then i tried madcows for a 2 months and after that i've been doing texas method about 6 months now. (going from 5s -> 3s (one set) -> going for doubles across now).