starting strength gym

Thread: To milk or not to milk Lp

Default To milk or not to milk Lp

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Alright. So I posted a forum about programming issue or not and I got some very helpful advice.

6’3 Male
    23 years old

206 lbs (currently)

I’ve peaked at
    220 Low Bar
    120 OHP
    240 Deadlift (yes I am finally pulling Conventional!)
    And ahh 170 Bench
    This is in LBS not Kg. (I wish it was kg!!!)

Starting weight in Stronglifts
    95 Low Bar
    130 Bench
    135 Sumo
    75 OHP
    Long story short I started Stronglits 5x5 and restarted twice and then switch to SSLP (after discovering Stronglifts) and I restarted SSLP a couple time. Totaling 6 months of this set across.
    Yes my form wasn’t great and I kept having back injuries setting my back. But through trial and error and discovering SS form check it got way better.

I hit a peak weight of 212lbs (I can’t stomach so much food or I’ll get digestive issues plus my appetite has gone down after I hit 220 for low bar ) and when I attempted 225 and 172.5 for Bench I failed and only got 5 reps total between both.
    The next day.. I could hardly get out of bed and when I got work. I felt horrible. I wasn’t sick but I was just exhausted. I felt extremely flat. I drank a cup of coffee and I felt a bit better. My girlfriend has also told me recently I have been a bit lazy and don’t give her enough attention. I just don’t have the extra energy to do so!!!!

I tried deloading this week by 10% and on my light day of squat I was struggling a bit.

I use a belt, have weight lifting shoes, calorie surplus, 7-8 hours sleep, cold showers , no fap. Whatever to help besides steroids.

Is this a clear indication that I am done with the LP and I am on the trainings resistant side and need to switch to intermediate programming.

Some of you have said I am to light for my size. But I am at 38 inch weight at naval and that’s a bit to much for me.

Thanks

It sounds like your not getting recovered. 6’3 206 is significantly light. These numbers are a bit low to end a typical LP. Something isn’t quite right. I suspect it’s your nutrition/ form.

Paul,

You've been all over the boards with some of these interrelated problems. Have you applied any of the advice (particularly increasing carb consumption) from Robert Santana? Besides SSLP, what else do you do? Are you running? Have a very active or very sedentary job? Lots of stress? Are you really sure you're eating what you think you're eating and sleeping as much (and well) as you think you're sleeping? When was your last vacation? The last time you laughed until you thought you'd poop? How's your hydration?

Honestly, my first suggestion would be to add more food. You certainly don't need to do this all at once, but adding more fuel can often get a person past a sticking point. Adding a half sandwich shortly before or shortly after training can do a lot. If that doesn't help, then keep the food intake high and back off your lifts by 15% and spend a week doing just enough to keep moving and then get back into it. If those don't work, get a blood test.
    Last edited by Jeff Illingworth; 04-25-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Paul,

You've been all over the boards with some of these interrelated problems. Have you applied any of the advice (particularly increasing carb consumption) from Robert Santana? Besides SSLP, what else do you do? Are you running? Have a very active or very sedentary job? Lots of stress? Are you really sure you're eating what you think you're eating and sleeping as much (and well) as you think you're sleeping? When was your last vacation? The last time you laughed until you thought you'd poop? How's your hydration?

Honestly, my first suggestion would be to add more food. You certainly don't need to do this all at once, but adding more fuel can often get a person past a sticking point. Adding a half sandwich shortly before or shortly after training can do a lot. If that doesn't help, then keep the food intake high and back off your lifts by 15% and spend a week doing just enough to keep moving and then get back into it. If those don't work, get a blood test.
    I have indeed took the advice like eating more carbs, increase rest time between sets, taking a lighter squat day. I started eating about 3-4 chocolate rice cakes during the workout itself despite the YMCA staff telling me no. SSLP is all I do, Tuesday and Thursday I try to do some steady state cardio on the treadmill. I do not run. My job is a bit sedentary. I scale my food pretty good, I have been scaling for about ~2 (no lie) it's become a habit (a weird one to the average joe). I even scaled a serving of rice (or whatever the carb source is) when it is dry and after it is cooked to see how many grams it is after it's cooked for a more accurate measurement. I take this natural sleep aid to help recovery. I will tell you this however. I have two deviations in my septum, bad allergies, and nasal polyps so majority of the time I have to mouth breath at night . According to my sleep doctor, I have a "false-positive" for sleep apnea, he also mentioned how mouth breathing should not be a problem with recovery. I just have to get my nose fixed through surgery and meds (which I am on). I try to keep stress on the low with meditation. It's been awhile since I have laughed that hard. My hydration is fairly well, my urine color is within "normal color".

I'll eat a bit more, even though I am ~24% bodyfat (According to Navy calc) How many more weeks of SSLP would you have me do before it's not enough stress to stimulate growth? Until I hit a wall again? I have reset about twice with Stronglifts and the same with SSLP.

Thank you Jeff.

Have you gone face to face with a certified SS coach.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Have you gone face to face with a certified SS coach.
    Nope. I recently just sent an email to the nearest SSC about meeting up.

Always a good idea.

As Carson says, see a coach. Plan with them changing your program. Eat more things that are not rice cakes.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    As Carson says, see a coach. Plan with them changing your program. Eat more things that are not rice cakes.
    The rice cakes was a quick example. I am sure you don't have time to hear about all the nutritional changes.

But nonetheless, will do.