starting strength gym

Thread: Training Kids (10)

Default Training Kids (10)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have a 10 year old son and 10 year old nephew that play multiple sports. I've decided that instead of playing a sport this fall, they should focus on getting stronger. I am well aware that they shouldn't be maxing out and pushing as hard as an adult. They both weight 75-85 lbs.

Should I start them on the SS Novice program? My thought is to start them just lifting the bar (45lbs) for squat and dead lift and possibly less for the bench and press. Anyone have any thoughts or links?

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

You can start them with lifting for technique but are unlikely to make actual gains until they hit puberty.

Can You Put Your Kids on a Strength Training Program? | Mark Rippetoe

My son wants to get stronger he is only 9. Is there any kind of kid workout without barbells for kids and fun so they don’t get bored?

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

No idea. Someone else is more than welcome to chime in but at 9 it's not really going to be training because there is not enough testosterone to support the growth.

Thanks, He is into baseball and soccer. I thought about just having him do push-ups and chin ups for right now. Then either dumbbell squats or move a dumbbell from one spot to another.
    Might just have to look up kid exercises or something like that.

Thanks again,
    Kelly

starting strength coach development program
    I've worked with a lot of kids in this age range. As has been said a thousand times, they can't actually train, but if they're interested, they can certainly learn the lifts and they'll make a little progress. Be ready to need a lot more patience than you expect. Be ready for a significant lack of control, most especially on the eccentric portions of lifts. Unless these kids are pretty burly already, get a lighter bar. I have a bunch of 15 pound aluminum bars and plastic 5 pound standard diameter discs that work well. Their relative control, focus, and desire will fluctuate a lot from one session to the next and be ready to have to make a lot of adjustments as they hit any growth spurts.