starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Programming help

Default Deadlift Programming help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coach, I've been doing one set of triples on my deadlift for about 8 weeks now and managed to pull 140kg yesterday. But I don't think I'll be able to train at this kind of high intensity week in week out anymore. Should I change my programming to give more volume like switch between volume and intensity weeks or do backoff sets?

Weight: 65kg
    Height: 5'3"

I'm using Heavy/Light split atm so:

Day 1:
    SQ
    RDL/SLDL/PC. I switch them whenever one stalls or intensity gets too high or reset.
    Chins

Day 2:
    Medium SQ
    DL 1x3

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Well you could definitely afford to gain some weight. That will certainly help you keep training at higher intensities. I assume there is more upper body programming that you are just not listing here?

Can you add a training day? What is the reason you are only lifting 2x/wk?

What makes you think you can't keep training at high intensity? You can go to a couple doubles then do a back off set. Or go to 3x1 and a back off.

If you can afford it I would like to see a third day of pulling that way you can get the volume in that you need without having to sacrifice intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    Well you could definitely afford to gain some weight. That will certainly help you keep training at higher intensities. I assume there is more upper body programming that you are just not listing here?

Can you add a training day? What is the reason you are only lifting 2x/wk?

What makes you think you can't keep training at high intensity? You can go to a couple doubles then do a back off set. Or go to 3x1 and a back off.

If you can afford it I would like to see a third day of pulling that way you can get the volume in that you need without having to sacrifice intensity.
    I trained on a 4 day Heavy/Light split for a month due to time constraints. Going back to basic HLM again. Didnt think I needed to show the upper body days for this post.

I thought I'll burn out at this high intensity. My left knee felt weird from pulling 140kg so I had to skip deadlifts this week. I havent had the need to add back off sets yet. Wouldnt I just peak if I switch to singles from triples? I was thinking of just alternating 1x5 with 1x3 since I respond better to 1 set. Doing back off sets afterwards makes me dizzy

Starting Strength Coach

A peak implies a negative slope following the event. What I am suggesting is not a peak but a continual drive in intensity. You will make progress on singles for quite a while provided you are also doing sufficient volume (hence the back off sets).

A peak implies a negative slope following the event. What I am suggesting is not a peak but a continual drive in intensity. You will make progress on singles for quite a while provided you are also doing sufficient volume (hence the back off sets).
    Makes sense. Thanks coach.

What would be a proper rep scheme/ intensity for a back-off set after a heavy set of 5? would you go as high as 8 reps?

Starting Strength Coach

For a main lift I would keep to sets of 5 generally speaking. Take about 5-10% off or so depending on load and age and such factors.

For a main lift I would keep to sets of 5 generally speaking. Take about 5-10% off or so depending on load and age and such factors.
    Following up on Tony's question, if I may - what approximate percentages would you suggest for a backoff set of 5 following heavy 3s, 2s, or 1s?

Thanks!

Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    Ultimately it has to depend on the load being used. Percentages just get us into the ball park. Back of set of 5 from singles would be about 80-75%, from 2's at 80-85% and at 3's from 85-90%. These are ESTIMATES based off the work set. Numbers need to be based off of your training log and be heavy enough so as to constitute a stress but light enough so that they can get done without turning into a bone on bone grind.