starting strength gym

Thread: Roadblock with Bench Press

Default Roadblock with Bench Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been training on the Starting Strength 3x5 for about a month and a half now with decent gains in Back Squat, Overhead Press, Power Clean, and Deadlift. However, my Bench Press has progressed very little. I lifted weights before I started this program, but not under any specific training regime. So I've had an adequate idea of what my 5 rep maxes should have been starting out. I started at 80% of my estimated 5 rep max and built up from there. The problem is my bench press is not too far from what it was before, and now I am failing to successfully complete 3 sets of 5, while every other lift is progressing normally. What should I do from here?

How's your form?

Step 1: Get a form check.
    Step 2: Check the first three questions.
    Step 3: Increase pressing programming complexity.

Also, that’s not how starting weights are determined, ergo you likely started too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Also, that’s not how starting weights are determined, ergo you likely started too heavy.
    I agree that's not the typical protocol, but if he can already bench a weight for 3x5 with good form then there's not much point to finding a "starting weight", because we define said weight as that at which form starts to break down and bar speed markedly decreases.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rega View Post
    Step 1: Get a form check.
    Step 2: Check the first three questions.
    Step 3: Increase pressing programming complexity.
    This pretty much answers it. Regarding Step 3 written above, start with microloading 1-2 lb jumps between workouts. Failing that, try 3x3 instead. Also, there is nothing wrong with having 1 lift be on a different level of programming while the rest progress linearly. From my understanding, a lot of people end up with squats and deadlifts continuing linear progression while presses and bench presses can be progressing using something like the TM.

starting strength coach development program
    Okay will do! Thanks for all the input!