starting strength gym

Thread: Am I still able to run starting strength?

Default Am I still able to run starting strength?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all, this is my first post here. I've been training for a while (~10 years) but was a bro for a while, and only more recently really focused on the big lifts. I've been running 531 for about a year, but looking at my logs, my DL has really stayed the same or maybe even regressed a little. I came across starting strength and read over the squat chapter specifically as I was having a ton of anterior knee pain. Reworking my form has really dropped the weight. I also recently just started doing the OHP. I've never done cleans before. Anyway, sorry to ramble. My current numbers are

DL 280 x 8
    Squat 205 x 5
    DB flat bench 85's x 10
    OHP 95 x 8

So I'm probably overthinking this...but would you recommend running the base novice program to someone in my position?

Thanks in advance and thank you all for all the information on this site!

The advice I give to anybody who asks this is to try. The Novice LP is not complicated, and as long as you are progressing at 5 lbs per workout (some lifts more, some less), then you are taking advantage of your ability as a novice to recover within 48 - 72 hours.

So do the first day protocol, finding weight that is difficult to do with correct form. Then proceed from there. You may find you’re already topped out, you may add 100 lbs to your DL. It is really dependent on your genetic potential. If that’s been relatively untapped, you’ll see some major gains. If you’re already further along the curve, you may need more complex programming.

But like I said, the Novice progression is not complicated. So try it for a month and see.

That makes sense. The worst that can happen is that I dont get anywhere. Thank you!

One last question-you mention finding the weight where maintaining form is difficult and using that as the work set weight. I've seen other places talk about bar speed as the indicator. I looked in the book and couldn't find where it talks about that. I'm probably overthinking again...do you ever recommend watching bar speed or just form breakdown? Thanks!

If I had to guess - and I am doing so right now - I’d say that the bar speed would slow down just around the time form starts to break down. So you may get an additional 5 - 10 lbs if you go by form breakdown. Just my $0.02.

At any rate, if form does break down but recovery is adequate prior to the next workout, you may be able to do a 10 lb jump on the squat anyway. Presses may be a different story. Deadlift could be a 15 lb jump.

It’ll all even out in the end, the only thing that will really change is the time it takes to get there. Worst case scenario you add a week to the LP.

Awesome, thanks for your time and the explanations!

starting strength coach development program
    Just an FYI, the book says you've achieved working weight once bar speed slows. I'm not into looking it up to reference a page number, but I assure you it's in there.