starting strength gym

Thread: A Queston For Andy Baker

Default A Queston For Andy Baker

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Mr. Baker, recently I have been gathering advice on this forum about in season lifting while playing sports. I came across your “MMA and Barbell Training” video, and I may try that during my lacrosse season. However, in a post you commented on in this forum about omitting the deadlift, you said that deadlifts should only be done light and for speed in season. But in your MMA video you suggested the Max Effort system even for deadlifts. So what opinion do you side with now? Thank you for your time.

It depends on the sport. MMA doesnt involve a "season" in the same way that many other sports do where you have many games over a prolonged period of time. I may agree with both statements, I dont remember the context of the first statement I made.

The context of the first one was a guy asking about contact sports(I assume this means stuff like football, hockey, lacrosse, etc.) You said, “If a guy was pulling 500, doing sets of 3 with 495 is not a good idea in season. But pulling 405 with some speed isn’t going to hurt you.” I can’t pull 500, but I assume the idea could be applied to most?

I think what he means is u have to be careful about managing fatigue in sports with prolonged seasons, and since the deadlift is a very fatiguing lift you have to be conservative with the intensity. You may not want to drop them completely but the goal in-season is to maintain the strength you have built, and make moderate progress if possible, without doing so much that you interfere with performance in your sport. It's a balancing act.