starting strength gym

Thread: Skipping the bench press and only press?

Default Skipping the bench press and only press?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I find it hard to progress on the press exercises. What if I was to skip one of them and only do the other. Would I lose much?
    Become unbalanced?

I would prefer to only do the press. If I did it 3 times a week I think I could progress fast.

Does the press hit your chest enough?

Quote Originally Posted by starkarevarjedag View Post
    I find it hard to progress on the press exercises. What if I was to skip one of them and only do the other. Would I lose much?
    Become unbalanced?

I would prefer to only do the press. If I did it 3 times a week I think I could progress fast.

I think they help each other during the novice stage, and you'd miss out a lot from not doing the heavier bench presses. I think the change that would have helped my presses more than anything would have been more practice, so try adding a few sets of light presses at the end of bench days, and some light bench (maybe close-grip) to finish the workouts on press days.

Become unbalanced?

Do them both.

Also, search function.

Today I did 3x3 at 52kg. Last time I did 3x5 at 51kg.
    This is my type of progression. I got up from 42.5kg to 50 then stalled hard. I need like 3 times to increase 1kg.

I need another scheme for the presses. I might add another light pass for each press. Say 5kg less than my last 3x5.

At this amount of weight I would not omit the bench press. The exposure to heavier loads will help the press. What is age, weight, gender?

I remember grinding those weights a few months ago. Current 5 rep PR is 56kg. Weirdly i'd say the press was my best liftvin terms of technique, yet it wasn't progressing. Looking back, I would say it was my bench press that was holding back my press. Been benching 3x per week the past few months, and that practice has helped no end and i now realise my bench technique was awful. I don't know how much weight you're benching, but i'm only now getting above 100kg. I'm only pressing once a week at the moment, but i've no doubt that the bench improvements are carrying over. Consistent bench technique => delt and tricep hypertrophy => better press.

starting strength coach development program
    I would say no, especially if it's so important for you that you feel the need to ask.
    If you are concerned about chest development, and you don't want to bench, I would suggest you at least add dips to your program.
    Having said that, I second others have said, and recommend that you stick to benching, as well as pressing.

IPB