starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What program to do after SS?

Default What program to do after SS?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know, I know there are similar threads to this, but I'd like to hear your opinions considering my requirements for a new program.

Had a lot of success with SS, but now I'm constantly stalling. I think it's time to move on from novice progression.

My main issue with SS was that even though it was effective it was too taxing at the end. I'm afraid TM would be similar to this, so that's out of question.
    Second, I'd like some variety in my training. More exercises. My goal is not getting strong as fast as I can, but steady progression and having fun (by fun, I mean not doing a boring routine). AFAIK, 5/3/1 is similar to what I'd like to do, but lot of people complained about regression after switching from SS to 5/3/1.

Can you recommend me such programs?

Hi.

You probably could do a 5/3/1 routine. You just gotta hit the lifts more than once or twice a week and add a bunch of back off sets. If your main focus is squat, bench and deadlift something like:

Day 1:
    Squat: 5/3/1 + 25/20/10 reps of back off at 75-85%
    Bench variant: 20-30 reps at 65ish % of the bench TM
    Deadlift variant: 15-25 reps at 70ish % of the bench TM

Day 2:
    Squat variant: 15-25 reps at 70ish % of Squat TM
    Bench: 5/3/1 + 25/20/10 reps of back off at 75-85%
    Deadlift variant: 20-30 reps at 65ish% of deadlift

Day 3:
    Squat variant: 20-30 reps at 65ish % of Squat TM
    Bench variant: 15-25 reps at 70ish % of the bench TM
    Deadlift: 5/3/1 + 25/20/10 reps of back off at 75-85%

Let the 5/3/1 guide your progression. By the "25/20/15" I mean 25 reps (ie. 5x5) in the 5's week at 75-78%, 20 reps (ie. 5x4, 4x5, 7x3,3x7 etc...) at 78-82% and 10 reps (5x2, 3x3 etc) at 82-85% TM. Obviously the variants of the lift willl be harder at lower intensities than their main lift so therefore the lower 65-70% stuff.
    Basically the thought is that 5's week is hypertrophy week, 3's week is strength week and 5/3/1 week is a peaking week for new TM. I have no clue if this works, but hey, I'd be interested in hearing if it did. All percentages of the training max. Maybe it'll inspire you.

It's a bad question to ask and will get a lot of comments which will seem harsh. Essentially the one that works for YOU and YOUR goals is the best one. All you should vary, if trying simply to get strong, is intensity, rest and volume variation of the standard 4/5 lifts depending on if you are including PC/BR. Other SS accessory exercises such as pull ups, chins, Lat pull downs are good, but limited to assisting those standard lifts. Anything too far away from the standard lifts won't really contribute to training as such, but that's not to say they shouldn't be done depending on YOUR personal goals.

I’m definitely not an expert in this, but it sounds like you would do well on a heavy light medium routine. I’d read Andy Baker’s articles on heavy light medium over on his website. Whatever program you do, though, you’ll definitely have to tweak it some to meet your goals.

Have you read PPST3? There is an entire section on Intermediate programming that not only gives some recommended routines but also all the fundamentals you need to make your own if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by confused_enthusiast View Post
    Second, I'd like some variety in my training. More exercises. My goal is not getting strong as fast as I can, but steady progression and having fun (by fun, I mean not doing a boring routine).
    I’ll start by saying if it wasn’t for this part of your post I’d be recommending HLM, probably Baker’s Garage Gym Warrior.

Considering what you’ve said though, have you looked at the KSC Method for Powerbuilding?

That should have all the variety you want/need to keep it interesting while also continuing to build strength (albeit at a likely slower rate than you would from a strength-specific programme).

If you're looking for an early intermediate program with a little bit of extra variety to keep things interesting, you could do The Bridge. It's free, introduces a variety of supplemental exercises and changes to rep/set scheme from the NLP, and should allow for ~weekly progression on the main lifts. It also has a built in mechanism to avoid things getting "too taxing."

If not, HLM is quite flexible, and you could introduce some exercise variation on the light and medium days to mix things up. You could add 1-2 GPP days as well, with a little cardio or other less essential work, depending on how much time you have to spend training and what your goals are.

I guess it depends what your goals are, how much time you have to train, and what counts as fun.

I've been a fan of Andy Baker's Garage Gym Warrior. It's not gonna have more variety of lifts than the LP was (replaces power cleans with rows and adds options for conditioning), however the variety in volume/intensity has made it plenty fun for me. I do pause squats on my light squat day and do speed work on all my medium days as well.

Also, HLM has tons of options for variety, whether you crate your own program or purchase a template. HLM in itself isn't a program, but a structure to build a program around.

starting strength coach development program
    There are plenty of good intermediate options. If you want to have fun(lots of rep pr's), and not get beat up, use one of the 531 full body variants. Texas Method worked well for me and also has frequent PR's, but is tough as shit during the meat of the program. Garage Gym Warrior is great, but has a slower progression ( no pr's till weeks 8-10). Haven't tried the Bridge, but has no scheduled PR"s and open ended progression. These are all proven templates that should work for most early intermidiates, so don't worry about picking the "optimal" program. Pick what's best for you, and what fits into your lifestyle. Like others have said, I would recommend PPST because at some point, these templates won't work for you as well and may be best to program for yourself.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast