starting strength gym

Thread: Too early for some changes?

Default Too early for some changes?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Brent,

Male, 29, 6'3", 223 lbs. Current lifts: SQ 220, PR 125, BP 185, DL 235, PC 145. Just finished week 9 of the SSNLP.

I have three children and work full time, and end up compromising the amount of sleep I can get in order to have time to lift (I wake up at 4:15 AM to work out MWF). I began stalling about 2 weeks ago and decided to deload a little after modifying my diet (way more carbs; calories were fine, though I am consuming about 1000/day more now).

I decided after deloading that given my circumstances, it may be best to introduce a Light Squat day on Wednesday, as well as introduce chin ups as a break from "heavy" pulls.

I can get about 3x5 on chin ups (got 4 on the last set), so I think I'm at least getting some decent volume. On my LS day I was really damn sore at the bottom, but Friday's workout went just fine.

Anyway, I am wondering if I am introducing these changes too early into my programming. The LS day seemed to help with recovery somewhat. Most importantly, I was actually excited to workout on Wednesday, whereas lately I've been dreading heavy squats each workout. That was a big indicator to me that it was an okay decision. However, I don't want to needlessly slow progress in my novice period.

Just wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Even if you introduced the light squat day a whole month early really you are only slowing yourself down by 4 workouts which means a little over a week. In the long run of your training this means close to nothing. Take the light day especially if it makes you more consistent and less prone to burnout.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks so much for the advice.