starting strength gym

Thread: Adapting after an illness

Default Adapting after an illness

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, I am starting to recover from a respiratory illness from yesterday. How should I adjust my SS weight for my next session? I know the book says if you miss a day, you should start repeat the same weight as last time, but I feel like a sickness should call for different protocol. I'm sure I've lost some weight because my appetite hasn't been the same, and I don't know how well my body will be able to perform given it just underwent an illness. I was thinking to start at 90% the weight that I did last time, but I don't want to stray away from the program too much.

On another note, I also have a quick newbie question. I've been gaining strength since I started the program, but I haven't gained any weight. Shouldn't weight gains correlate with strength gains, at least for the first several months of the program? If so, I feel like that could be part of the reason heavier weights are becoming increasingly difficult to perform 3x5. I lifted weights before I started this program, but I don't think I should be close to stalling having only started a month and a half ago. I'm 17, tall, and have a very high metabolism, so gaining weight is a real challenge.

Thanks for the input!

How long were you laid up by the chest thing?

How far along in the program were you?

The second question will help inform the first.

I also just recently got over bronchitis brought on by the bad pollen situation in my area this spring. The major symptoms kept me out of the gym for two sessions. You’ll find your breath/condition will be knocked down some, but will be back within a week.

10% is probably OK enough, depending on above. Also, titrate the volume back up on your squats from one set, to two, and then three. PPST3 has a section on returning after layoffs.

As for being 17 and not being able to put on weight, the usual response is you are likely not eating as much as you think you are. This is typical for 17 year olds. Actually tracking your intake with accurate quantities may be revealing.

Deload 10% like you said and continue.

Regarding the weight gain, YNDTP.

https://startingstrength.com/article...n_rippetoe.pdf

I was sick for about 24 hours, but am still feeling the aftereffects such as drowsiness, although it's getting better. I've been on the program for roughly a month and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by haydenlc3 View Post
    I've been on the program for roughly a month and a half.
    List your starting weight, body fat, lifts, and your current lifts, and let everyone here be the judge of that.

Pretty good progress. Did you squat/DL before SS? Your starting squat and DL numbers look pretty high.

Like Satch said above, you probably aren't eating as much as you think you are.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes I did squat and deadlift before starting SS. I believe the eating is the problem, but I think I've found some ways to fix that. I'm not a big fan of plain milk, so the "drink a gallon a day" thing isn't gonna work real well for me. I'll probably drink some milk tea and high calorie smoothies throughout the day instead.