starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat Progress Stalling And I'm a Fat Ass- Am I done w/ SS?? Time to lose excess fat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rega View Post
    Switch to H/L/M, focus on getting that waistline down. Start with conditioning once a week. Prowler is great for high intensity work. The tower and bike are also great options for conditioning.

Good luck!
    Tower??

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rega View Post
    Switch to H/L/M, focus on getting that waistline down. Start with conditioning once a week. Prowler is great for high intensity work. The tower and bike are also great options for conditioning.

Good luck!
    I'm a fan of twice per week conditioning. On a M/W/F HLM split, I like post-workout Wednesday as well as Saturday.

I would avoid doing it the day before heavy squats or the day before heavy deadlifts (in my case, Mon and Fri, respectively)

Quote Originally Posted by joemusic View Post
    Tower??
    I think he meant rower...

Quote Originally Posted by jonfla View Post
    I think he meant rower...
    I seriously spent like 30 minutes googling “tower training” today.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    I seriously spent like 30 minutes googling “tower training” today.
    Ha! I sense a marketing/product development opportunity...

If you stayed to the end of my video, you can go to TowerTraining.com and enter access code "tractor" for a special discount.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by joemusic View Post
    On a side note... My BW is starting to become alarming so I don't think I can eat my way through this one... I am 5'11... started @ 210lbs now I hover in the 230/235lb area... yet my waistline has stayed at 39" throughout and my shirts are all tighter now...

In terms of goals I'd like to get my squat up to 350+, DL 400+, BP 225+, OHP 150+... do some BW chins
    I'll leave the programming to others, but your bodyweight is not keeping you from your goals as stated.

I'm 5'11", >350lbs @ >40% bf. Squat and dead around 550, benching about 300, and overhead about 240. Expecting these all to be considerably higher (specifically deadlifting) before summer's over.

Unless you have a serious health concern about that extra bodyfat, just lift and stop overthinking - I used to do the same thing. Granted, my bodyfat is in actually dangerous levels but yours isn't. Just lift. Recomp later when you have more muscle mass and you're stuck in week or month-long periodization cycles.

There's a whole lot of other considerations to be made that aren't apparent in your question:
    How much other activity are you doing (i.e. cardio) that may be impacting your recovery already?
    Are you sleeping regularly? How many hours each day?
    What is your diet like? What are the exact macro numbers you're consuming?

You have a lot of lean body mass, there's no way (in my opinion) you're close enough to your strength potential that you'd need to lose what little extra weight you have.

Conditioning work will impact your recovery until you're acclimated to it. Start with doing it once a week for three weeks, then maybe increase to twice a week. Not more than that. You'll get better weight loss, if that's super important to you, managing your diet closely than trying to add a bunch of conditioning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12