starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TM for Press

Default TM for Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Last day of LP was 145 5x4x3. Would a sensible starting point for TM be the first week of TM be Mon. 130 5x5, Wed. 115 2x5, Friday 145x5? If I'm succesful there, would a reasonable week 2 be Monday at 131 5x5 followed by friday 147 x5? Since I lift at a commercial gym I have no reason to believe that I can adjust weights with this level of precision. Does anyone have any tips on how to make the program work in this setting?

I understand that for the press in particular there's been some talk of increasing volume on intensity day a little bit, like maybe 3x3 for instance. Has this been endorsed here?

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Just add 2.5lbs on both volume and intensity day. Eventually yes you will need to drop your 5s to a couple triples on intensity day but that is not really increasing volume in a meaningful way.

You'll need to pick up microplates or make some from 2in washers. Lots of threads on microplates. Get some and keep in your gym bag. I even take mine on business trips.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    I understand that for the press in particular there's been some talk of increasing volume on intensity day a little bit, like maybe 3x3 for instance. Has this been endorsed here?
    Using different schemes is part of the structure of the TM template and is included in the examples in PPST. Have you actually looked at the program in the books?

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Using different schemes is part of the structure of the TM template and is included in the examples in PPST. Have you actually looked at the program in the books?
    Of course I have. Can you give a page number in the book where 3x3 is suggested for the intensity day On TM? I'm at a loss. I see discussion of 2x3 and 3 sets of 2, but I am aware of no discussion of 3x3 for intensity day - I thought the idea was to keep the intensity reps at about five give or take a few? You wrote the book, so, hey, if I'm wrong I'm wrong. Maybe my copy is missing some pages, right?

Brent for how long can a person reasonably expect that to work? If I can't add weight at that rate for even so much as 4 weeks because I can't make the jumps on volume day, how much lower should I drop the intensity on volume day?

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Of course I have. Can you give a page number in the book where 3x3 is suggested for the intensity day On TM? I'm at a loss. I see discussion of 2x3 and 3 sets of 2, but I am aware of no discussion of 3x3 for intensity day - I thought the idea was to keep the intensity reps at about five give or take a few? You wrote the book, so, hey, if I'm wrong I'm wrong. Maybe my copy is missing some pages, right?
    Nope, and that's not what I wrote above. It sounds like you're expecting that every version of each program template be written out, but that is obviously impractical. PPST3 added a lot more examples to fill out templates vs earlier editions of the books to make it easier, but they are still examples and not prescriptive. Adding, subtracting, using different assistance exercises and etc are part of making intermediate programs work for specific individuals over time. You have to experiment in order to figure out how to get the best response for yourself, so don't be afraid to do it, but make sure you do it systematically.

Have you read Andy Baker's article about the TM Intensity day? Lots of good information here: Understanding the Texas Method Intensity Day | Andy Baker

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Nope, and that's not what I wrote above. It sounds like you're expecting that every version of each program template be written out, but that is obviously impractical. PPST3 added a lot more examples to fill out templates vs earlier editions of the books to make it easier, but they are still examples and not prescriptive. Adding, subtracting, using different assistance exercises and etc are part of making intermediate programs work for specific individuals over time. You have to experiment in order to figure out how to get the best response for yourself, so don't be afraid to do it, but make sure you do it systematically.
    That is helpful, thank you.

So If I begin with the "one set of five on intensity day" template, and I'm struggling because I miss reps on volume day, which interventions would you use and in which order? (If each alteration had no effect, I would revert back to the base template before implementing the next one.)

1.) Increasing the percentage offset between weights on VD and weights on ID.

2.) Increasing volume on ID to three triples.

3. Decrease VD volume by one set.

Are there any I missed? Which of these three is most likely to be helpful?

If I struggle because I miss reps on intensity day, how do I know wether to:

1.) Add a set on volume day.

2.) Switch volume day from a top set of five to two triples.

Help?

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Again my go to on intensity day is to drop from 5's to a couple sets of tripples.

When my lifters start missing on volume day I typically increase the offset percentage.

starting strength coach development program
    got it, thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast