starting strength gym

Thread: Should I Deadlift at End of Week?

Default Should I Deadlift at End of Week?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys,

I’ve been struggling with my squat progression. My sets are all over the place from a rep perspective. I currently only deadlift once per week on Mondays. Been lifting for about 3 months now. I am 39, 142 lbs and 5’6”.

I am wondering if I’m getting too taxed from deadlifts on Mondays and it subsequently hurts my squat. I am at 225 on DLs and 175 on squats. Both are at 5lb increments. After I cleared 155 on squats (1st attempt), the progression has been as follows for reps by sets:

160 lbs
    5-2-2
    2-5-5
    5-5-5

165 lbs
    5-1-1
    5-5-5

170 lbs
    1-3-1
    1-1-3
    5-5-5

175 lbs (current)
    3-1-1
    1-0-0

I am wondering why the hell after hitting 170, which felt semi easy on my third attempt, I am failing so hard at just 5 lbs more at 175(?). I am wondering if DLs on Monday wear me out at beginning of week and by end of week I am recovered enough to hit the squats, which lately I have been clearing on 3rd attempt which is usually a Friday. I have posted a few form checks in Coaches forum, so I know have some areas to work on, but other than that, do y’all have any general feedback, or am I being a wuss here with squats?

You aren't doing Novice linear progression ? You should be DL 3 X per week.
    What was your starting body weight ? Are you eating/sleeping in accordance with SS ?

Something's awry here. There's no reason you should be missing sets of 5 and doing sets of 2. Give this a read and let us know if you still have questions that it doesn't answer for you:

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

As an aside, unless you have a really compelling reason to be so light, you'll be MUCH happier if you gain at least 20 or 30 pounds (Although Rip might say 45 or 60). I know this from personal experience.

Continue doing deadlifts. Eat more. Get your form checked. Don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Something's awry here. There's no reason you should be missing sets of 5 and doing sets of 2. Give this a read and let us know if you still have questions that it doesn't answer for you:

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

As an aside, unless you have a really compelling reason to be so light, you'll be MUCH happier if you gain at least 20 or 30 pounds (Although Rip might say 45 or 60). I know this from personal experience.
    Thanks Adam. I’ll give it that article a read.

I think my sets being all over the place was due to rounded upper back and me tipping forward. I hit the 175 today after hitting one rep two days earlier. So, something was obviously messed up. Focused on big chest and arms down and tight, and was pretty surprised how much more energy gets transferred to the bar when your back is locked solid.

I am working on the weight. I am up from starting weight but definitely would like to add on about 25lbs more.