starting strength gym

Thread: hey brent Weight maintenance question

Default hey brent Weight maintenance question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been doing a texas method variant out of Andys ebook. The program is working even staying at the same bodyweight for now at least but do you think this is going to be tenable long term or should I eventually move into a less stressful H/L type of split? My goal is just try to recomp a bit and just get stronger for the time being(I think I have actually recompositioned a little bit for the short time ive been doing it but it is very slow most likely my diet is not optimal im getting in the necessary protein 1g per pound but my fats and carbs are kind of a free for all in that I dont really count fats so they are likely low)anyways it is starting to get pretty heavy and just wondering your thoughts?

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

It is unlikely that going from a Texas method program to a two day H/L split will lead to favorable results especially under a caloric deficit. Instead you will have to think about accumulating fatigue and stress over several workouts. Essentially being in a caloric deficit forces you to take more advanced programming protocols earlier on which means more accumulated stress.

thank you much

I've run Andy's GGW (with press emphasis)during a cut and it worked great. It's slow accumulation like Brent suggests, and I was able to set decent squat and DL Pr's (30lbs),a 10lb pr for press and my bench held steady as that lift was only once per week.

Whenever someone references Andy's GGW program my brain immediately interprets it as Girls Gone Wild and it takes me a few seconds to remember what it really stands for

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Whenever someone references Andy's GGW program my brain immediately interprets it as Girls Gone Wild and it takes me a few seconds to remember what it really stands for
    Maybe that IS what is really stands for???

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    I had a friend who did the Girls Gone Wild Program. His Deadlift numbers went down but his grip strength is through the roof.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    I had a friend who did the Girls Gone Wild Program. His Deadlift numbers went down but his grip strength is through the roof.
    Maybe now he can double overhand more than he could before, at least.