starting strength gym

Thread: 7-week program to get a novice ready(more fit) for a 3-day dancing competition.

Default 7-week program to get a novice ready(more fit) for a 3-day dancing competition.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Morning,

I"ve been training a few folks here and there to get experience with coaching. I'd say so far I'm fairly successful since nobody died yet. I have a guy who approached me about getting in better shape for a 3-day dance competition he's doing in 7 weeks. Even if he doesn't commit fully to LP after the competition, I'd still want to jump on this for the experience. He's a bit overweight and untrained. I'm curious if you guys have inputs on my thought process about his training, which I think is simple.

His Goals: Build up some cardiovascular endurance to dance whole day, for 3 days ; lose some fat ; get a bit stronger

My limitations: I'm not a nutritionist or certified coach, so I'm giving him advice based on my own weight loss success and goals.

Training:
    Put him on regular SS LP
    After 3 weeks, add in one day of Farmer's Walks or Deadmill Sprints(closest thing we can mimic to a prowler) for 20min.

Diet
    Cut calories and track via an app but eat enough carbs for fuel when working out.

It's only 7 weeks so we can't do much probably, I"m curious to see how this can pan out. He's pretty motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    Morning,

I"ve been training a few folks here and there to get experience with coaching. I'd say so far I'm fairly successful since nobody died yet. I have a guy who approached me about getting in better shape for a 3-day dance competition he's doing in 7 weeks. Even if he doesn't commit fully to LP after the competition, I'd still want to jump on this for the experience. He's a bit overweight and untrained. I'm curious if you guys have inputs on my thought process about his training, which I think is simple.

His Goals: Build up some cardiovascular endurance to dance whole day, for 3 days ; lose some fat ; get a bit stronger

My limitations: I'm not a nutritionist or certified coach, so I'm giving him advice based on my own weight loss success and goals.

Training:
    Put him on regular SS LP
    After 3 weeks, add in one day of Farmer's Walks or Deadmill Sprints(closest thing we can mimic to a prowler) for 20min.

Diet
    Cut calories and track via an app but eat enough carbs for fuel when working out.

It's only 7 weeks so we can't do much probably, I"m curious to see how this can pan out. He's pretty motivated.
    What kind of dancing? And how much dancing per day over the 3 days? Is he doing any exercise atm? How much does he dance on a regular basis?

My hunch is this person would benefit more from more cardio and dancing, less strength training on this timeframe with these goals.

Quote Originally Posted by jonfla View Post
    What kind of dancing? And how much dancing per day over the 3 days? Is he doing any exercise atm? How much does he dance on a regular basis?

My hunch is this person would benefit more from more cardio and dancing, less strength training on this timeframe with these goals.
    He does Salsa and Bachata I believe. It's basically on and off whole day with social dancing at nigth in a club he said.

Currently he's inactive except for dancing.He goes on the weekends.

After another conversation it's also to generally get stronger and lose a few pounds. It started as a goal specific to his dancing but now it's broader. My thinking is to keep him on LP, and about 4 or so weeks before have him do some deadmill sprints on Saturday mornings to have enough recovery till Monday.

After his comp he wants to continue training.

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    He does Salsa and Bachata I believe. It's basically on and off whole day with social dancing at nigth in a club he said.

Currently he's inactive except for dancing.He goes on the weekends.

After another conversation it's also to generally get stronger and lose a few pounds. It started as a goal specific to his dancing but now it's broader. My thinking is to keep him on LP, and about 4 or so weeks before have him do some deadmill sprints on Saturday mornings to have enough recovery till Monday.

After his comp he wants to continue training.
    Since he's preparing for dancing and looking to lose weight, it probably wouldn't hurt to have 20-30 mins of LISS from the start. Something low impact like cycling.