starting strength gym

Thread: Starting strength not working for me - HLM?

Default Starting strength not working for me - HLM?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am 35 years old and I feel like I cannot do Starting strength.
    I first tried Stronglifts for a few months, the
    started doing 3x5 because 5x5 was to much.
    Therefore I switched to Starting strength. I have gotten one injury from deadlifting which I attribute to bad form and now I have knee pain which I attribute to bad form as well.

The problem is that Starting strength kind of forces it. I feel that it might progress to fast. It is starting to really take a toll doing heavy squats 3 times a week.

I am happy with weekly progress at a lower but safer rate than progress each session which almost ends up with me using bad form.

I eat well, protein is 1.5 to 2g per kilo but I dont eat 6000 calories, more like 3000.

I have been thinking about those HLM programs. Is it bad to do those as a beginner (6 months)? Like I said, slower progress is fine.
    Sometimes I feel like those would work better for me. Instead of just pushing it to the max each time have some lighter days with volume. Now I miss the press exercises most of the time anyway, just doing 3x3. Maybe trying to push them once a week and then just doing volume the other would be better? Then I would be better prepared for the next level.

How long are you resting between sets?

Can you post a video of your squat?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

My squat form ia terrible. Good morning squat with forwars lean and heels lifting - pretty sure it caused my knee pain. If I do 60kg I can squat perfectly.
    I also feel that going below parallell destroys my form. If I stop at parallell my form is better.

The program probably doesn't matter much then. Get your form fixed.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    The program probably doesn't matter much then. Get your form fixed.
    Agreed. If your technique sucks, then you are simply going too heavy. Go see a coach, hire an online coach, post a form check on the coaches Q&A or technique board. Get the cues and reset your lifts by 10% or more. Follow up your form checks with more form checks.

Are you done with these lame threads yet dude?

Does starkarevarjedag mean "troll" in some Nordic language?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Are you done with these lame threads yet dude?

Does starkarevarjedag mean "troll" in some Nordic language?
    What makes you think he's a troll?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    What makes you think he's a troll?
    -Numerous redundant threads.
    -Rarely answers questions posed by other members. Replies with vague, open ended questions when he does.
    -Has never posted a video when asked.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rega View Post
    Agreed. If your technique sucks, then you are simply going too heavy. Go see a coach, hire an online coach, post a form check on the coaches Q&A or technique board. Get the cues and reset your lifts by 10% or more. Follow up your form checks with more form checks.
    Bolded part isn't necessarily correct. I think Andrew is more on target - if OP isn't recovering properly between sets and starts a heavy 5RM tired, his form could quickly degrade even though the weight is appropriate for him. Further, if he's been grinding through this way for a week or two, the collected recovery deficit and the accumulated irritations (minor injuries) may be enough to make all of his sets garbage and further aggravate the problem.

I'm not a fan of the trap of constant resetting some people get into, but an opportunity dial in the form and a focus on maintaining a 5-8m intraset rest period by way of a reset would absolutely be beneficial, as Nicholas suggested.

You're also missing critical information to help the coaches and other lifters advise you:

What is your height and bodyweight?
    What are the actual numbers your lifting and/or PRs, e1RM?

You did include your age and macros, which is good. If you're lean enough (=<25% BF) and tall enough (in the neighborhood of =>5'9" ft) and thinking you've completed LP at a 200 lb squat, you're probably wrong and NDTP or have some serious form issues holding you back. On the other hand, if you reveal you're trying to LP deadlift 5 lbs 3 times a week starting at 350 or 400 lbs, then you're most definitely overworking yourself.