starting strength gym

Thread: Novice LP Modified split for short(er) time each session?

Default Novice LP Modified split for short(er) time each session?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Unfortunately due to some current constraints around work/life/the gym I go to, I am pretty limited on time. I workout in the AM, but since I am in construction (office not craft labor) we start early also. By the time the gym that is all things considered most convenient for me opens, I am at a point in the LP where with my rest periods and factoring in maybe waiting on equipment means I do not have time to do squats/bench/deads or squat/press/deads. Evenings at said gym are an absolute zoo (everything nearby is, getting everything in could take 2 hours that I don't have), so mornings it is (prefer mornings anyway).

Anyways, I have been doing squats/press, deads/bench on alternating days with a day of rest in between (work travel and life activities/travel also disrupt that probably at least twice a month as well) for a bit now - is this an ok and/or optimal format or should I look to something else despite still be in the LP phase. Currently at:

205 3x5 squat (feels stalled, may need another reset)
    105 press 3x5
    165 bench 3x5
    255 deadlift 1x5
    160 BW 5'10"

This LP has been anything but linear really, vacation/work/getting sick has thrown some ups and downs but such is life, I like the efficiency of the program but I'm not here to do a meet so progress can be slower as long as there's progress. Currently adding 5lbs to each lifts each day. If there's a better program for a short lifting period each day I'm all ears.

Could you clarify, the gym does not open early enough in the morning?

You really need to commit an hour and a half to actual training. No program that would be effective is going to be less time-consuming.

If you can get to the gym earlier in the morning, that would be your simplest solution. Changing the days of the week might work better for you. Another option is to switch to a gym that open earlier in the morning or isn’t nearly as busy in the afternoon or evening. Finally, you could buy the equipment to lift at home if you have the space and the money to spare.

As for your squat, if this is your second reset, then you’re doing something wrong. You should get a form check and go through the first 3 Questions. I suspect your bodyweight hasn’t increased by much. If you form has a major flaw or if you have 3 or more minor flaws, then you should take an 8-10% reset. If you simply have not been gaining weight and you are failing reps, you can take the same reset just ensuring that you eat properly.

If your form is good enough, you have indeed been eating enough, you’re taking the proper rest periods, you’re warming up appropriately, and you’re getting the best sleep you can, then it’s time to increase your squat programming complexity which I highly doubt this is the time to do it.

Thanks for the reply, timing is correct. With the time the gym opens to the time I need to usually be on-site (and sites can vary sometimes so one gym somewhere else wouldn't really do it), plus driving and such, the hours don't quite work out. I live in the city still, so home equipment is also not yet an option (although we are shopping for a place in the suburbs, at which point I will invest in some equipment for the garage), and unfortunately every gym that is remotely convenient to get to/park at/not eat up extra hours of the day is also freakishly crowded most nights. I see this getting way easier when we do buy a home.

I do know my food quantity is light, or rather has had a few setbacks due to work/getting sick/etc. A related but different question - my DL has felt pretty good and continued to increase well I think, but my squat just doesn't feel great. Going to employ the TUBOW this weekend and try to see if my knees are still moving (thought I had that dialed in).

Perfect world (soon I hope) i'll be able to get that 90 +/- at home on a regular basis. In the meantime, sounds like the answer is there isn't really a "next best thing" given the time constraints.

One thing that you can do is to start warming up for your next lift while you rest for another. So after your first work set of squats (or even your last warmup set), you can start pressing the empty bar. That’ll save some time as long as you don’t get crazy with it.
    Timing your rest periods could help too. Making sure you don’t rest more than 5 minutes.

I can’t say for sure why your deadlift is progressing while your squat is stalling, but what it could be is that you started lighter on your deadlift and you are just now pushing your limit, or you started too heavy on your squats.

Your technique could be costing you a few pounds on the bar NOW, but it will not be the cause of your stall unless your current technique causes injury. Mike Tuscherer’s 80% heuristic is fantastic for deciding wether your technique is too bad to progress or good enough to progress.

The real fix, however, is increasing your muscle mass which cannot be done without causing a caloric surplus. I know how it is. I struggle with this too. Work never helps. The best I can say is to find a strategy to make it work. Try meal prepping. Make 1,000 calorie shakes that you can gulp down when your schedule robs you of time to eat. Make sure you are eating calorie-dense foods. I sympathize with you, and for guys like me and you, this is the part that takes the most effort.

You may want to take a page out of the old fart book, "Barbell Rx". They have a template for 4-day a week novice.

Monday - Squat 3X5, Press 3X5
    Tuesday - Deadlift 1X5, Lat Pull 3X10 or Chins
    Thursday-Squat 3X5, Bench 3X5
    Friday - Deadlift 1X5, rows or chins

If you can do Olympic lifts, replace Tuesday deadlift with power clean.
    Progress will not be as fast as 3-day a week, but you can get out of the gym earlier and still make gains until you find a new house.

Squats and deadlifts use different muscles through different ranges of motion. The squat demands a lot more out of your quads. Some of us are cursed with chicken legs and squats come harder. I injured my vastus lateralis last winter. I was still able to do and even progress on deadlifts, while squats went through a 3 month LP rehab.

Are you a milk fan? Milk is a good way to titrate up calories easily and with a balanced macronutrient profile.

Not GOMAD necessarily, but a 16 oz glass here and there.

Cody Miller talks about a titration approach here: Gaining Bodyweight Without GOMAD

starting strength coach development program
    Good stuff thanks guys. Working on establishing a more routine food intake and as suggested, working up with some additional milk (love it, already drink a lot co.pared to the average person so that will be no problem). I will maybe give the 4 day mentioned above a go as timing wise that seems to fit my current schedule a bit better.