starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: program advice--nearing end of novice LP?

Default program advice--nearing end of novice LP?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all,

Due to minor injuries and life stuff, I've stopped and started the novice LP a couple of times. I may be getting close to the end it now. I'd like a checkup on what I'm doing, suggestions for how to keep the LP going a bit longer, how to know when to change, and maybe thoughts on what to change to.

47 years old
    6'6"
    ~260 lbs

My last restart on the program was early February. After a couple days working back into it my lifts were:
    squat 175
    bench 215
    dead 305
    press 140

I had some elbow pain and so did not do chins until mid/late April, doing 3 sets of 4 on 4/26.

I have not been cleaning, I get elbow and wrist problems and my form starts to go to hell above about 185. So I've been alternating between deadlifting 1X5, and 2X5 at 10% less. About two weeks ago I switched in rows for the second deadlift day. My lifts now are:

Squat 300
    bench 265, 5 sets of 3
    dead 410
    press 160
    row 235

I started using a belt in mid-May.

My routine is:

Squat 3 sets of 5
    bench press, 5 sets of 3 (switched from 3 sets of 5 in mid-April)
    or
    press--alternating 3 sets of 5 at my limit, and 3 sets at 10% less. My best on my light press day is 145 for 7,7, 5.
    deadlift--was alternating 1X5 and 2X5, now alternating 1X5 and rows 3X5.

I've tried squatting 300 3X5 3 times now and my best is 5,5,4. However, I have had some missed workouts. Press I have tried for 160 twice and gotten 5,5,4 both times. (I have 1lb weights so my previous top press was 157 3X5.)

Chins are 6,5,5. I do those on off days now and then. I try to train 1 day on, 1 day off, 1 day on, 2 days off, but come in a little less than that. I had 9 training days in May not counting chins on off days.

My body weight hasn't changed that much in this latest run at the LP, going up about 5lbs from 255 to 260. I have a bit of a gut, I'd guess my body fat is over 20%, maybe over 25%. About two years ago my blood sugar entered the pre-diabetic range, it has since come back down but I have to watch my diet a little. My digestion has also gotten worse with age--I often feel bloated and gassy after eating, get some heartburn and the occasional stomach ache (I've also become lactose intolerant). I'd like to gain 10-15 lbs more at least, but haven't really been there with the eating.

I have a history of dislocated kneecaps, both legs (mostly growing up, the only time it has happened as an adult is when direct force was applied to my knee, in BJJ). Whether as a cause or a result of these injuries, my quads don't develop well, especially the semi-mythical VMO. I sometimes wonder if I am a special snowflake who would benefit from some focused quad work using the leg press or even leg extension machine (both of which I have done in the past).

Thoughts? Thanks.

Tom

Quads hurt when doing squats. I'm not sure what you mean. Could you post some videos?

Read Austin Baraki’s article, “Aches and Pains”.

I would say that you have indeed finished your NLP. It’s time that you move onto another program.

What program you should run is dependent on your goals. So you need to lay out a clear objective.

If you would like to gain weight, that is your perogative, however, there is a health concern once your waist circumference reaches 40 inches. Just keep that in mind.

There are lots of resources on post-novice programs. A form of Texas Method or a Heavy/Light/Medium program are the most common.

You can find info on these programs in Practical Programming, Barbell Perscription, the Starting Strength website, Home - Andy Baker, YouTube, or the Barbell Logic podcast.

If you find this to be too complex, time-consuming, or more effort than what you are willing to put forth, you can hire a SS coach in-person, sign up for SSOC, sign up for Progressive Rehab & Strength, join the Baker Barbell Club, or buy one of Andy Baker’s programs.

Nicholas,

Why would anyone think that a waistline over 40" for a man standing 6'6" could possibly be a health hazard or were you just being sarcastic?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Nicholas,

Why would anyone think that a waistline over 40" for a man standing 6'6" could possibly be a health hazard or were you just being sarcastic?
    My mistake, I didn’t adjust for his massive height. He’s probably got a few inches of wiggle room.

I do agree with your remaining observations. BTW I'm 71, chest 49", waist 39" and am only 5'10" tall.

Quads hurt when doing squats. I'm not sure what you mean. Could you post some videos?
    Ok hope I posted these properly:

Squating 295, I think this was my third set, had trouble keeping my back flat but went for it because I was videoing. https://www.facebook.com/tom.paynter...29072389470182

Deadlifting 405 Tom Paynter - Tom Paynter posted a video to his timeline.

In the deadlift video you can see how little mass I have in my lower quads just above my knees. Maybe it doesn't matter but it bothers me since I have been prone to injuries and weakness in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rega View Post
    My mistake, I didn’t adjust for his massive height. He’s probably got a few inches of wiggle room.
    My waist has been pretty stable at about 40". But I haven't been gaining much weight.

Nicholas,

Being short or tall doesn't make much impact on the 40" #.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    Being short or tall doesn't make much impact on the 40" #.
    Hmmm...I wonder?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast