starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: program advice--nearing end of novice LP?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Tom,
    It’s been a long time since I’ve watched technique, but I would say you could work on getting your knees set faster in your squat. What you are doing now in both lifts won’t be doing anything to injur you, however.

The fact that you believe that you are prone to weakness and injuries probably has a lot more to do with it than anything. Get yourself some knee sleeves. Read that article by Austin Baraki.

As far as waist circumference, Robert Santana says that for the most part as long as your chest leads rather than your belly, you’re in the clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rega View Post
    Tom,
    It’s been a long time since I’ve watched technique, but I would say you could work on getting your knees set faster in your squat. What you are doing now in both lifts won’t be doing anything to injur you, however.

The fact that you believe that you are prone to weakness and injuries probably has a lot more to do with it than anything. Get yourself some knee sleeves. Read that article by Austin Baraki.

As far as waist circumference, Robert Santana says that for the most part as long as your chest leads rather than your belly, you’re in the clear.
    Hmm, thanks. What does "getting your knees set" mean? I might take your advice on the knee sleeves. Some days, especially if it has been a few days since my last training day and I've been sitting a lot, my knees feel stiff and like they never really get warmed up. I can see how knee sleeves would help with that. Any brand/style recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    Hmm, thanks. What does "getting your knees set" mean? I might take your advice on the knee sleeves. Some days, especially if it has been a few days since my last training day and I've been sitting a lot, my knees feel stiff and like they never really get warmed up. I can see how knee sleeves would help with that. Any brand/style recommendations?
    By getting the knees set, I mean getting your knees in the farthest forward position to allow for proper depth and balancing the bar over midfoot. In the first third to half of the decent, the back is suppose to lean forward and the knees track forward. After that part of the decent, the knees should stop moving forward and the back angle relative to the floor should be established. At this point, the knees should only be moving as fulcrums allowing the femur to travel down in order to reach depth while the tibia stays stationary.

Here’s a video illustration on what I’m talking about: YouTube

What you’re doing right now is sitting your hips back first, then your moving your knees out after rushing to get them in place. When you start your decent, ass back and knees forward.

I actually have never used knee sleeves, but stoic has gotten good reviews and is on the cheaper side as far as knee sleeves go. Rehband is probably the knee sleeve that I have seen worn most. I think Niki Sims’ article on equipment has the recommended specs.

Niki's article: Lifting Apparel Accessories

BTW Chuck the Chucks. Get some proper weight lifting shoes. They will provide some stability.

starting strength coach development program
    I did get lifting shoes and knee sleeves. I like them, good suggestions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12