starting strength gym

Thread: Military intermediate programming (Army)

Default Military intermediate programming (Army)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Background: Soldier (68w) currently assigned cav scouts at NTC. Having problems programming around monthly rotations (10 days long). Went through novice LP, short stint with TM, and ran HLM as described in PPST3. Before the army i was a 2 sport collegiate athlete in football & track. That training was soley based around olympic lifting and long block periodization.
    Program HLM
    Monday
    Squat~ ramping to 5RM
    Bench~ ramping to 5RM
    Deadlifting ~ ramping to 5RM
    2 mile run
    Wednesday
    Squat~ ramping to 1×5 @80% 5RM
    Press~ ramping to 5RM
    Goodmorning~ 4×10
    Chin Ups~ 5×8-10
    2 mile run
    Friday
    Power Cleans~ ramping to 5RM
    Squat~ ramp to 1×5@90% 5RM
    CG Bench~ ramp to 5RM
    2 mile run
    Saturday
    Press~ ramp to 1×5@90% 5RM
    Ruck March~ 5-10 mile @60lb load
    I used the ascending sets from the older populations (i understand im not old but my recovery factors are terrible) section in PPST3. I used the % of deficit from the HLM in the intermediate section. Programmed the good mornings from an article by bill starr.
    My lifts (1RM): Sq-405 B-330 D-495 P-205 @192lb BW.
    Side note: rotations are incredibly demanding and extreme weight loss is very common for me. I also struggle in the 2 mile event (15:20 BAD!!!)

Do you enjoy running 3 days a week plus ruck marching? If that's just for fun, have at it, but if you're trying to improve some aspect of your performance for these events, you need to train for the events and not just do them.

If you've got a school or test that you're preparing for, work backwards and set up your training just like you did when you played football. Something like the following is a good start:

Strength focus --> Strength training, high intensity/low volume conditioning --> High intensity conditioning, some distance work, maintenance strength training --> some high intensity conditioning, practice for event, maintenance strength training ---> Event

However long you have will determine how long you stay in each "phase," keeping in mind that strength adaptations take longer to occur, but are more persistent.

I'm not sure what your actual question is, though. The above is just based on what you're doing now. Can you restate your question?
    Last edited by Nick Delgadillo; 06-27-2018 at 09:56 AM.

My question is are the ascending sets and low volume of the program optimal & Is there a better way to program cardio for military around strength training. Most soldiers either commit themselves soley to long runs and push up/ sit ups to nauseam or they do "bodybuilding".I neither enjoy those practices or think they are the basis for combat readiness. Having an athletic background is helpful as far as technique of the lifts. However i can't do block periodization when i only really have 2 weeks at a time to work with. When i ran TM i was gaining strength and mass quickly but almost failed the 2mile run at a pt test. The HLM in PPST3 is designed to be ran out. However coming back from rotations wrecks my body and makes hit hard to hit the next scheduled numbers.

Question: is ascending sets, and low volume, at moderate intensity (5RM [H], 1×5 [L&M]) a productive way to still progress as intermediate programming for soldiers who still have to uphold considerable conditioning. Thank you sir for the progression you listed off. I will program my training around the bi yearly APFT or ACRT. (If this is my second post in a row i apologize my internet goes in and out in the field so i dont know if it posted)

Got it. That makes a little more sense. You've got a tough situation, but my best advice would be to go hard when you can and back off when you need to. So for the two weeks that you can get good training in the gym, I'd focus on sets across and then go to ramping sets when that's not possible like you're doing now.

You won't be trying to run it out, instead making progress when you can. So you'll be looking at more advanced programming based on a monthly or even 6 week cycle rather than weekly weight increases. Make week 1 coming off a rotation week sets across at 5x5, then week 2 either go up on your 5x5 or your top set of 5, then taper down as you increase your workload in your job. Repeat.

That's one possible approach. Just think of your progression in terms of a longer time frame and you'll be able to make whatever adjustments are necessary.

Also, there's lots of good info in these articles: Articles | Starting Strength
    Last edited by Nick Delgadillo; 06-27-2018 at 02:46 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I really appreciate the feedback sir. I will implement your ideas immediately and read those articles.