starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Program For Sprinter

Default Program For Sprinter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey, guys. First post, so please bare with me. Don't know if it's in the correct section? Anyway...

Finished NLP and would now like to start intermediate programming. I have 3 speed days a week and between them 3 tempo/conditioning days. Also, lot's of plyos. So, I went for the "Power Clean Focused DE Program", but tried to change it a lil' bit. Here it is:

Squat 5/3/1RM
    Bench 5/3/1RM
    Power Clean 3/2/1RM (90%x3x3)

Front Squat 3x3
    Press 3x5
    Chins 3x5/15
    Romanian Deads 3x8-10

DE Squat 65/70/75% 10x2
    DE Bench 60/65/70% 10x3
    Deadlift 70/75/80% 10x1 (85/90/95%x1) (After 3 Cycles, On Week 3, Lower DE Sets, Try To Set New 1-3RM on Deadlift)

In the week I want to set a new Deadlift PR on Friday, I'll drop the Romanian Deads on Wednesday for that week.

I moved the PR-Day to Monday, because on Friday I'd already have LOADS of training behind me and don't know if I'd be able to set any PR's. Is this okay? Also, should/can I add back-off sets after the PR to get some volume in? For example 400x5 Squat PR, add 2 sets of 5 at 90% PR weight.

Any comments/ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Yeah, moving the PR day to Monday is fine. Always adjust the strength training around the sport to get the most out of it. If on Friday, you have to hedge the weights down a little bit to maintain your volume and maintain your speed, that is fine. That being said, if you have a lighter week of sprinting and you wanna bump up your weights a bit on the volume/DE day you can do that as well. Adding in the back off sets after the top set is totally fine if you feel you need a little extra volume. You could also change your FS to BS on Weds and get a little extra work there too although it probably wouldn't be as heavy. Lemme know how it goes and if you need help troubleshooting.

Hello, Andy

Thank you soooo much for the in depth reply and advice. Really appreciate it. My next question is how to progress on the PR day (Monday)? Should I still just add 5 pounds even if I go from 5 to 3 to 1 rep/s in a 3 week wave? Or should I progress each Rep-Range PR on it's own? Here's what I mean:
    Option 1 (Just Go Up 5 Pounds Per Week)
    Week 1 Monday 400x5
    Week 2 Monday 405x3
    Week 3 Monday 410 x1
    Week 4 Monday 415 x5

Option 2 (Each Rep Range Goes Up 5 Pounds Individually)
    Week 1 Monday 400x5
    Week 2 Monday 410x3
    Week 3 Monday 420x1

Week 4 Monday 405x5
    Week 5 Monday 415x3
    Week 6 Monday 425x1
    Etc?

Thanks again.

The second way. If you are doing 5s, 3s, and 1s start with about a 5%-8% gap between day.

Hd

Andy, I thank you yet again. I just have one last question to bother you with.

Obviously this should be done in a ramping-set style, no? If so, how should I go about doing that? Let's say I want to set a new 5RM PR of 325 tonight. Obviously I can't do 315 for a set of 5 before that? So, how should I go about getting to 325? Or if you've already written about this and do not want to repeat yourself, I'd be fully happy if you'd just point me in the right direction.

Thank you again. It's much appreciated.

Make your last warm up set a single at 5-10% less than what your PR set will be. For a 5rm at 325 I’d have you hit 305x1 as your last warm up set. Whole thing would be 45x10, 135x5, 185x3, 225x1, 255x1, 285x1, 305x1, 325x5. Hit the warm ups quick and then rest several minutes before the PR set. I have a YouTube video on this called “How to Max Out” that covers this type of progression in depth. Search my YT channel or perhaps some Good Samaritan will post the link for us.

Thanks you guys. Much appreciated.

starting strength coach development program
    Okay, Andy I have what I need. Thank you. Now I would like to ask you something else, off topic. What are your experiences with sprinters, or knowledge about their training? Specifically 60/100/200m types. I ask, because I had this thought about maybe decreasing speed-volume to as little as possible and make more room for strength training/power training and plyo's. In that order. I know Louie Simmons took a sprinter's time from 10.47 toe 10.17 in 9 weeks. No track-speed training. That's unheard of. Normsslly it would take aa season or two, injury free, perfect planning to achieve that. This was what inspired my idea. I thought we could maybe have a discussion about this and would absolutely LOVE it if some other members also came and dropped their thoughts.

Looking foreward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast