starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommended way to lose 10-15 lbs of fat after 45 lbs of gainz?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I highly recommend Kettlebell Swings. They really burn the fat, and give your Deadlift a significant boost at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You cannot possibly believe this. Quit trolling the Programming board.
    I am not trolling at all. Andy Bolton is a huge proponent of Kettlebell Swings. He was the first man to Deadlift 1,000 pounds and has pulled 900 pounds more times
    than any person in history. (40+ times) Kettlebell swings have also helped my Deadlift greatly.

You cannot be this stupid. It's just not possible. Stop trolling the board.

I am not trolling at all. Andy Bolton is a huge proponent of Kettlebell Swings. He was the first man to Deadlift 1,000 pounds and has pulled 900 pounds more times
    than any person in history. (40+ times) Kettlebell swings have also helped my Deadlift greatly.
    Remember: Simple. Hard. Effective

.....in that order

I am "just a novice" and therefore know nothing and am incapable of the reasoning or logic that the rest of my species (i.e., humans) seems to be able/allowed to do. However, even I find your reasoning in this assertion highly specious. Plus it's a slow morning at work, and you people interest me.

Firstly, I think it'd be a fair statement to say that anyone who can deadlift 900+ lbs can probably swing a 92 kg kettlebell, but not everyone who can swing a 92 kg kettlebell can deadlift 900+ lbs. You may as well say that since Andy Bolton eats potatoes, eating potatoes helps the deadlift. Correlation not causation.

Secondly, the reasoning that an elite athlete does something and therefore that something works is also pretty suspect. The elite are genetically inclined to this kind of success.

Thirdly, in the article you posted elsewhere, Bolton himself even says that he was squatting heavy when he pulled over 1000 lbs, and implies that it wasn't until after he blew out his knee that he turned to kettlebells as an assistance exercise (read: as an alternative to heavy squats). This makes some sense since kettlebells work the posterior chain pretty hard too, but again, it's implied that had he not hurt his knee he would not have started using kettlebells to train.

Now I'm not arguing that they aren't a good assistance exercise, or that they don't help with fat burning. I can't argue those because I have no clue. But your reasoning behind why they help the deadlift is questionable at best. Surely you can provide a more convincing argument?
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 07-13-2018 at 06:35 AM.

I am not trolling at all. Andy Bolton is a . . .
    The Phenomenology of Barbell Training | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    I am "just a novice" and therefore know nothing and am incapable of the reasoning or logic that the rest of my species (i.e., humans) seems to be able/allowed to do.
    Enjoy yourself, but remember who it was who wanted to discount all non-SS opinions from anyone who hadn't yet deadlifted 400lbs.

Meshuggah has been training for a long time. I'm pretty sure when he says "Kettlebell swings have also helped my Deadlift greatly," he means that he believes they got his deadlift moving again when they were stuck at some point. He may be mistaken (you'd have to scroll through his log to see what else might have been going on), but I don't think he's just looking at an elite athlete and making wild inferences.

Quote Originally Posted by B Viking View Post
    Remember: Simple. Hard. Effective

.....in that order
    Why bother with something hard and simple if it isn't effective?

Quote Originally Posted by convergentsum View Post
    Meshuggah has been training for a long time. I'm pretty sure when he says "Kettlebell swings have also helped my Deadlift greatly," he means that he believes they got his deadlift moving again when they were stuck at some point. He may be mistaken (you'd have to scroll through his log to see what else might have been going on), but I don't think he's just looking at an elite athlete and making wild inferences.
    Have I asserted that kettlebells have not helped his deadlift? Or Bolton's? No. I have asked for a more convincing explanation.

Had I read Starting Strength as a 1 page document that said "Just squat, press, bench, and deadlift and you'll get strong" I probably wouldn't have tried it. But the logic and argument laid out extensively in the book is what convinced me to try.

Enjoy yourself, but remember who it was who wanted to discount all non-SS opinions from anyone who hadn't yet deadlifted 400lbs.
    Looking at the content and frequency of his current writing, can you imagine what will happen when he actually deadlifts 400lbs, meets his self-imposed standard, and is formally allowed to give advice?

starting strength coach development program
    Not sure who that was, because it was not me. Though it is much easier to harass and defame someone when taking things they say completely out of context and mass-publishing them. And of course it is much easier to discredit someone’s argument by discrediting that person themselves rather than evaluate the legitimacy of the logic of their argument.

But hey, this is the internet, which is known for such things.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast