starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding Bakers RLP article

Default Question regarding Bakers RLP article

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Andy, If i was to use this method on a 4 day split for a competitive powerlifter how would you suggest i set it up?

Bench, Squat, Off, CG Bench, Deads, off, off. Add assistance and light variations of the lifts based on need/preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Bench, Squat, Off, CG Bench, Deads, off, off. Add assistance and light variations of the lifts based on need/preference.
    I like it, thanks andy. Would reps for light variations be that little bit higher say around 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps or would you usually prescribe mostly fives?

Honestly, with guys that have success on a minimalist program like this, frequency is not a huge issue. Most of the added volume comes in the form of back off sets after the main work set. So usually it'd be something like top set, then minus about 10% and hit like 3 back off sets with the same amount of reps or just a little bit higher. If you wanted to move those back offs to another day and call that your light day you could. But if you are a guy that likes/needs lots of volume/frequency this one and done approach may not be the best method for you.

Thanks Andy, that's pretty cool!

(Also, congrats on your rehab and getting back under the... low bar) =)))

You said:

"1.
    You must put forth high amount of effort on your main work set every week. You don’t need to crash into the pins every week, but you should be damn near limit each week. If you don’t have the mental fortitude to push week in and week out, you won’t have success on this program.
    "

How would you suggest to decide when to drop down a rep range with an increased from previous week weight?

Say you are doing week of 8's.

From your writing it seems like the top set reps are capped at 8 reps @9 or @10 even, or do you really mean to go all the way to 7 reps @10 and only then the subsequent weeks will be 7 reps?

Thanks!

Honestly, with guys that have success on a minimalist program like this, frequency is not a huge issue. Most of the added volume comes in the form of back off sets after the main work set. So usually it'd be something like top set, then minus about 10% and hit like 3 back off sets with the same amount of reps or just a little bit higher. If you wanted to move those back offs to another day and call that your light day you could. But if you are a guy that likes/needs lots of volume/frequency this one and done approach may not be the best method for you.
    Ok thanks andy, i usually do well with a 2x week frequency of squatting, can get away with 1xweek deadlift sometimes 2 if that 2nd day is a lighter variant or done as a DE day after heavy squat. Bench seems to respond to 3-4x weekly which seems pretty common going off some guys i have spoken to in my weight class(105kg). Would i be better off repeating my usual progression cycle again with that type of frequency which is basically H/L split in ppst3 -5's(sometimes 8's to 5's) to 3's-2's-1's or could i make the rlp work with that type of frequency? Thanks again andy and sorry for the long post.

I've never combined this approach with high frequency, and I don't think I would. You can go "all out" or you can go often, but you can't do both. If high frequency works for you then why change? Most guys that train pretty high frequency are not going maximally at any rep range at any session during most of the training program. If you go low volume and low frequency, you have to go all out or at least close to it or else you don't have a stimulus anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bliss View Post
    Thanks Andy, that's pretty cool!

(Also, congrats on your rehab and getting back under the... low bar) =)))

You said:

"1.
    You must put forth high amount of effort on your main work set every week. You don’t need to crash into the pins every week, but you should be damn near limit each week. If you don’t have the mental fortitude to push week in and week out, you won’t have success on this program.
    "

How would you suggest to decide when to drop down a rep range with an increased from previous week weight?

Say you are doing week of 8's.

From your writing it seems like the top set reps are capped at 8 reps @9 or @10 even, or do you really mean to go all the way to 7 reps @10 and only then the subsequent weeks will be 7 reps?

Thanks!
    I'm not trying to be an ass or be dismissive, but if you can't gauge this rather intuitively then don't do this type of programming. You aren't ready for it. Do something more structured. If you do something like this, you should be able to gauge for yourself what was a limit set and when you still have room for 5 more lbs, 1 more rep, etc.

Andy i have gone back to the HLM system where you recommended going all out on the heavy i believe on a top set then 3 down sets at -10%. The RLP has actually been around a while and ive done it before even as an early intermediate and it worked when I did it very well I might add but I was just doing a top set then i would -5% and match the top set reps with the down sets for two sets. It was easy to recover from doing sports with that style of programming. I will keep doing the volume cycling HLM but this is a good program to keep on the back burner when it stalls I would think.

starting strength coach development program
    I've never combined this approach with high frequency, and I don't think I would. You can go "all out" or you can go often, but you can't do both. If high frequency works for you then why change? Most guys that train pretty high frequency are not going maximally at any rep range at any session during most of the training program. If you go low volume and low frequency, you have to go all out or at least close to it or else you don't have a stimulus anywhere.
    i get what you are saying andy and i thank you for getting back to me. If you wouldn't mind giving me a bit of feedback on this program using the rlp with 2 back off sets on main lifts except deadlift it would be greatly appreciated. Mon-Bench press-rlp.Db incline press-3x8-12. Lat pulldowns-3x8-12. Rows-3x8-12. Dips-3x10-12. Tuesday-Squat-rlp. Ghr-3x10-15. Weighted core-3x8-12. Thursday-cg bench press-rlp. Incline bench press or press-3x5-8. Chinups-3x10-12. Rows-3x8-12. Curls/pushdowns-3x12-15. Friday-Deadlift-rlp(1 back off set). Front squat or ssb squat-3x5-8. Leg extension-3x8-12. Weighted core-3x8-12. Is there anything you would take out or change?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast