starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is it said an LP on chins can't be done?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm going to try to adjust for differences in bodyweight using microplates and a bathroom scale. Not sure that'll help, but I'll try it.

It's simpler than the squat for the purpose of positioning the weight:
    - All of the body except the arms is moving the same distance against gravity.
    - There is no accordian-like support structure.
    - Unless you swing, your center of gravity will always be directly under the suspension point, since gravity goes down.

Given this, weight should be weight - regardless of where it's positioned (unlike the squat)

Two other points of difference I've notice between chins and the main lifts that may be affecting "reliability":
    - You aren't driving to a somewhat restful lockout position.
    - There is a large moment angle near the top, where the hands(suspension point) are forward of your shoulders (where the power comes from). The higher you go, the bigger this moment gets.

For me at least, this makes grinding on chins pointless - if I'm not moving at that point of high moment angle, around eye-level, and have some upward momentum, no amount of grinding is going to get me those last few inches - I'm better off doing a slow negative from there to get the last bit of value from the set. I figure that's what makes muscle-ups so hard - the pull up and dip are relatively easy, but the transition where you have no power....

Not sure if that's the same for everyone. or if that would make a difference in consistency.

A review of chin physics similar to what we have for squat in SS would be interesting, with all the variances in hand position (I use neutral grip), but probably not worth the time to analyze/write since well, it isn't as valuable as a squat. If squat is the king of exercises, maybe chin-ups are the ronin, wandering samurai with no land to call their own... It's sad.

-->Adam
    Last edited by Adam Levine; 11-20-2018 at 07:48 AM.

I would call chins a non-linear progression. Your body weight does not really matter. If you are gaining weight during LP it does not matter. Just chin until you can do 10 reps. Once the 10 rep goal is hit add 5 pounds, then work back up to 10 reps and repeat. Keep it simple.

If one is weak at pullups/chinups (like me lol), I notice that very few of the reps look identical...maybe the first few.

What I'm getting at, is small subtleties in swinging, and/or which muscles start to fatigue first,
    will alter how the lifter hangs as they pull themselves up, and alter the geometry and leverages of the arms and how they interact (angle,etc) with the lats and torso.

So a real precise load is going to be secondary to what I wrote above, when the reps gets hard.
    The muscle groups are small compared to amount of load being moved, so slight shifts in COG and/or technique is going to throw the whole thing off rep to rep.
    So I think the LP thing (with micro plates) is a futile exercise.

The overhead press can be a real mother f'er if you mis-grove a rep.
    And there you are dealing with some modest loads compared to the muscle mass moving the bar. Chin-ups are far worse.

I'm sure if it were a thing, Rip etal would've observed this by now, and the weighted chin up would be the 6th Lift or whatever, but its not.

But if you must try, my thought would be to return to a deadhang on each rep, maybe even just barely touch one foot to the floor if you need to stop a slight swing.
    Just so you could get a good clean consistent rep each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    But if you must try, my thought would be to return to a deadhang on each rep, maybe even just barely touch one foot to the floor if you need to stop a slight swing.
    Just so you could get a good clean consistent rep each time.
    Thank you - I like that.

I'm definitely trying it, mainly because for the short-term, chins are my only lift, so I have nothing better to do in the gym.

I like the idea of tapping the foot to stop swinging, which has been a bit of a problem to control. I was already locking out the elbows and shrugging at the bottom in an attempt to stretch out in a way that improves my press - I don't currently have the shoulder mobility needed to press properly and get fully overhead with no moment angle.

-->Adam

Andy Baker has a good write up on chins/pulls here http://www.andybaker.com/improving-y...dos-and-donts/.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    Andy Baker has a good write up on chins/pulls here http://www.andybaker.com/improving-y...dos-and-donts/.
    Note Andy has said this is article was more aimed at those starting out or stuck on chins. It's not really aimed at weighted chin progression. It is still interesting for the technique info.

Programming the weighted chin-up; and a general programming question (2-in-1 quiery).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12