starting strength gym

Thread: Rest Weeks Between TSFOSB Cylces

Default Rest Weeks Between TSFOSB Cylces

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’m going to try and refrain from getting into too much detail here, because I don’t want to venture into the private consultation of things( considering advanced training becomes highly individual), but would it be wise to take a low stress week before launching another cycle? I know that PPST3 mentions it for the Pyramid Model, but I was wondering if the same holds for TSFOSB. I’m currently running my 3rd consecutive TSFOSB ( 3 steps), and although I had success with the first two runs, my Squat is beat to hell at the moment. Each time I reset back to Base, which would be approximately 70% of my 1RM( or updated % considering the load increased each cycle). Thinking it may be a better idea to take a low stress week before relaunching, to let some fatigue dissipate. Anyone have any experience with this program?

Yes, but as you said programs like this take some tweaking at an individual level to get volume and intensities correct. The reason I prefer the 3-steps vs 2-step in many instances is because I like to take a longer build up before we hit max volumes and intensities in that 3rd loading week. You could be detraining a bit during the end of the cycle which makes jumping back into volume harder. Should probably look something like this:

Week 1: moderate volume, avg int ~75%
    Week 2: high volume, avg int ~80%
    Week 3: high volume, avg int ~85%
    Week 4: low volume, avg int ~80%
    Week 5: moderate volume, intensities range from a few sets @ 90-100+% + moderate volumes around 70%.

Perhaps if you add that back off work in week 5 you'll roll into next cycle a little easier.

You know, come to think of it, I had squatted 70%x5x3 on the second workout of week 5 previously, but during this last cycle, something came up, and I couldn’t make it to the gym to get the backoff sets in. Ha, I overlooked a detail that I thought was relatively small, but obviously very important. Thanks for the response Andy.