starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift not progressing, volume maybe too low?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How many reps did you get at 340?
    Am I understanding this thread correctly? You asked a question, Mark chimes in to help, and you don't even respond to him? You wasted an opportunity...

He never tried 340. He's a young kid who reads the internet and already knows he needs more Volume.

He never tried 340. He's a young kid who reads the internet and already knows he needs more Volume.
    Well, he does. He’s doing an intermediate program and only pulling once a week for a single set of five. No cleans, RDLs, SLDLs, light deadlifts etc.

Sub out one of the chin-up slots for light deadlifts or a variant. If it’s a movement you haven’t done before, you should be able to linearly progress it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    Well, he does. He’s doing an intermediate program and only pulling once a week for a single set of five. No cleans, RDLs, SLDLs, light deadlifts etc.

Sub out one of the chin-up slots for light deadlifts or a variant. If it’s a movement you haven’t done before, you should be able to linearly progress it for a while.
    Rip’s point was he probably doesn’t need to be doing an intermediate program. Actually, Rip’s point was he doesn’t need to be doing an intermediate program.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Rip’s point was he probably doesn’t need to be doing an intermediate program. Actually, Rip’s point was he doesn’t need to be doing an intermediate program.
    The NLP has significantly more pulling volume than the posted program, as does pretty much any other program from PPST3 or elsewhere on this site, so I’m not sure the novice vs. intermediate debate makes much of a difference here.

Also, maybe there’s something in the OP’s posting history that I’m unaware of, but what indicates he should not be doing an intermediate program?

Out of curiosity Satch, do you think the OP needs more pulling volume?

Yep, he could probably LP light deadlifts for quite some time.

Also, maybe there’s something in the OP’s posting history that I’m unaware of, but what indicates he should not be doing an intermediate program?
    Perhaps the fact that he never answered my question about 340.

Yep, he could probably LP light deadlifts for quite some time.
    Come on Mark, you know that light deadlifts wouldn’t fall under the category of “movements you haven’t done before”.

The programming suggestion I made falls squarely in line with your published material. Why the hate?

Quote Originally Posted by gibsones300 View Post
    Am I understanding this thread correctly? You asked a question, Mark chimes in to help, and you don't even respond to him? You wasted an opportunity...
    Sorry, I got injured by doing something dumb the day after I made this post. I completely forgot about this post until now.

I actually only got 2 reps at 335 pounds before my injury.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    I actually only got 2 reps at 335 pounds before my injury.
    But you did get 330 for 5? Sounds like you've had a bad day.

Out of curiousity, did you attempt the standard LP deadlift setup:
    M: DL 1x5
    W: Chins
    F: PC 5x3

?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stepic View Post
    But you did get 330 for 5? Sounds like you've had a bad day.

Out of curiousity, did you attempt the standard LP deadlift setup:
    M: DL 1x5
    W: Chins
    F: PC 5x3

?
    I did get 330 x 5 on deadlift, but it was extremely difficult, the last rep was a huge grinder.

I have not tried that set up, part of me wants to keep Chin up volume high, as I really want to be able to develop my pull up strength. I guess the trade off is to give up that goal and focus on deadlift 2 days a week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast