starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deadlift not progressing, volume maybe too low?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What did your injury consist of?

IIRC, you had a problem maintaining lumbar extension with heavy/maximal deadlift sets previously? hows that going?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post

IIRC, you had a problem maintaining lumbar extension with heavy/maximal deadlift sets previously? hows that going?
    I attempted a heavy day 340 x 5 squat, and didn't realize I actually had 345 on the bar. Got 3 reps and had to dump the bar on the spotter arms. Instead of lowering my hips, I lowered the bar by bending my lower back. Yes stupid I know, but under the heavy weight, my mind just wasnt working at 100%. Probably had a partial herniation, back pain lasted for the last 3 weeks, but it's gotten a lot better, and I can squat normally now. I'm going to practice failiing squats more often with lighter weights now to keep the muscle memory fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post

I switched to a wider stance, and that solved the problem. I'm unable to get into normal conventional position, maybe due to mobility. I've tried everything. It's either this or doing rack pulls off of 4.5 inch blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    Come on Mark, you know that light deadlifts wouldn’t fall under the category of “movements you haven’t done before”.

The programming suggestion I made falls squarely in line with your published material. Why the hate?
    I'm with you. He needs more than 5 reps per week to make progress. He could do this in the form of a more normalized LP or an upper / lower split. For the latter, I would go with the volume/intensity set up, but would do the volume as a deadlift assistance exercise (like snatch grip deads or something).

Rob, in several circles, "more volume" is synonymous with "intermediate volume." When Rip sees "do I need more volume?" from a trainee that's likely not old and is pulling low-mid 300s, that's unfortunately the default. That's the only reason here. From the original post, we don't have enough details to comment on anything else.

I'm with Les (Hi Les!!!); he needs to be pulling at least at least one more time during the week. Again, barring additional information, the novice programming with regard to deadlifts is probably a good place to start.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Rob, in several circles, "more volume" is synonymous with "intermediate volume." When Rip sees "do I need more volume?" from a trainee that's likely not old and is pulling low-mid 300s, that's unfortunately the default. That's the only reason here. From the original post, we don't have enough details to comment on anything else.

I'm with Les (Hi Les!!!); he needs to be pulling at least at least one more time during the week. Again, barring additional information, the novice programming with regard to deadlifts is probably a good place to start.
    Sorry, that should be "intermediate programming."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123