starting strength gym

Thread: Newbie 2 day lp programming question

Default Newbie 2 day lp programming question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Let me introduce myself. 56 years young, 5’ 10”, 190lbs, I’ve been “exercising “ with weights on and off most of my life. In my 20’s and early 30’s I did the usual “bro” split type routine then moved into more endurance based exercise like running, biking, swimming with less weight lifting. In the past 6 months I began a full body routine using the big four exercises but without a plan. I have purchased Ss, programming and barbell prescription books and I’m excited about getting into the gym with a plan.
    My lifts are currently
    Squat 155x5
    Bench 145x5
    Press 70x5
    DL 135x5

I know my DL is lagging but that exercise I have just started the last 2 weeks. I have had back issues in the past and was a bit scared to do them but after watching videos, reading instructions, I gave them a shot and I’m very pleased I did. I have been doing back extensions with 25lbs, core crunches and planks, so my back has definitely strengthened

Do I run the 3 day lp and back off to 2 day if recovery seems tough or 2 day then move to 3 day if I’m handling it well? Also, should I start with weekly increases in weight or the normal adding each new workout?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Assume you'll do fine with 3 days a week and workout to workout increases until proven otherwise.