starting strength gym

Thread: 42yrs/5' 7"/225 lbs -> Weight (fat) loss question for Andy Baker

Default 42yrs/5' 7"/225 lbs -> Weight (fat) loss question for Andy Baker

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,
    Thanks for the awesome recent thread around (E) weight loss candidates.

I did the starting strength program several years ago, maxed out at 100kg Dead lift (single), 90Kg squat. Life/Baby/3yrs later - and finally got around to working out again. BMI is 35. From reading your article it sounds like I should plan on incorporating cardio on my off days.

Most Gyms around me are crossfit style. These are too much drama for me. Net/net - I end up doing 5 sets of 3 reps of XXX, followed by the WOD - which is pointless for me.

Crossfit was good for the three months I did it - went from imaging I'm having a heart attack to realizing I just needed to lose weight. I think I did go from 240lbs to 227lbs in the three months.

I'm building a home gym, and planning on get one cardio machine (it rains here 80% of the time).

Question - Elliptical? Or TreadMill. (Again BMI 35, Age 42, 225 pounds at 5' 7").

Thanks,
    Mohit

Oh - Got a rack, barbell, plates etc. on order - should be showing up tomorrow. Ordered Mark's Wooden bench - but it's backordered - so no benching until early January.

I’m not sure you are an EWLT but if you want to lose some fat then it’ll be a combo of diet / cardio as the article states. Ellipticals or Treadmills are fine. I’m partial to the Treadmill especially incorporating the use of the incline function as a means of increasing intensity. It seems to couple well with Barbell training although elliptical is pretty benign as well. They key with either machine is getting COMMERCIAL GRADE QUALITY. Don’t get some piece of shit home model. This will be costly. If you can get a membership for less than $50/month at an Anytime Fitness, Snap Fitness, etc you can probably train there for 2-3 years for what a new TM will cost you and you don’t have to worry about maintaining it. Follow the principles of the article but maybe not so extreme on the diet

Thank you!