starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can starting strength be ran twice a week.

Default Can starting strength be ran twice a week.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello mark i hope you see this post, I an 16 yrs old and my name is Timothy. My highschool weightroom is open on an insufficient schedule Monday Tuesday and Thursday. I was thinking of running starting Strength because the program i’m doing right now from bodybuilding forums seems like a waste of time. Also i want to back squat twice a week and only care about getting stronger.

Hey Timothy,

You can make progress training twice a week. It just won’t be as good as if you could train 3 times per week. If your school gym is the only one around with a squat rack then you may be confined to twice a week. Either way, watch the technique videos and add weight to the bar every time you’re in the gym. Good luck.

Maybe you can get some others interested and get them to move to schedule. Who knows, but get started.

It'll work, and it will work well. Just not quite as well as 3x/week.

It's less of a loss than you may think - it'll be better than 1/3 slower. A 2x/week schedule is even recommended for some old geezers, and if it works on them, it certainly will work (way better) for you.

-->Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    It'll work, and it will work well. Just not quite as well as 3x/week.

It's less of a loss than you may think - it'll be better than 1/3 slower. A 2x/week schedule is even recommended for some old geezers, and if it works on them, it certainly will work (way better) for you.

-->Adam
    Can i do it Monday Tuesday and Thursday
    would it be bad?
    Even though it’s consecutive days

Quote Originally Posted by TLWeight View Post
    would it be bad?
    I doubt Tuesday would help much, and it would probably frustrate you with the inability to reliably add weight to the bar on Tuesdays. Saturday would be great, but not an option.

If you have the time in the gym on Tuesday, it might be better spent watching video of yourself lifting (preferably taken the day before), examining your form, and trying to identify/fix any form issues with a really light weight that doesn't stress you. Think of them as "technique days" rather than "strength days". Resist the temptation to go heavy - if it feels heavy, you're probably doing too much. Or, just take the day off, study for finals, go out with buddies, or whatever teenagers do nowadays.

-->Adam

Quote Originally Posted by TLWeight View Post
    would it be bad?
    You'd probably be better off doing Monday and Thursday on the program and then doing something else on Tuesday in my opinion (form work, school, friends, practicing for any other sports, etc.). It can be hard to stay the course feeling you aren't doing enough, but you could try to hoodwink some friend or family member to drop into a gym on the weekend (drop in fees for a high school student are probably less than $10, or find a gym that allows parttime memberships - there's one I belong to in my area that I train at 1-2 times a week and then the rest at home). Or even just do chins or something on the weekend which can be done anywhere with basically no equipment.

If I were doing this 2X / week, I would deadlift every session. Maybe total 4-5 sets/week.

Another idea is to do 5 X 5 twice / week.

Here is something you might consider, but I would definitely consult a coach before hand. You are a situational intermediate (I wanted to use scary quotes, but I did not know if I am authorized). This happens with any athlete who is in a sport with a high endurance component, like rugby. You are a novice, but your situation prevents you from running a standard novice linear progression.

You might find good luck running a modified HLM program, sort of a four day HLM compressed over three days. On the separate day you would do squat, bench, deadlift. On the first consecutive day you would do squat and deadlift. On the second consecutive day you would do bench and press.

I would definitely consult a coach first to work out the specifics. (Am I allowed to plug my coach, Coach Karl Schudt?)

starting strength coach development program
    I think plugging SSCs is generally accepted as a good practice here. If your coach wasn't an SSC, maybe not, but Karl is definitely ok.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast