starting strength gym

Thread: Planning for sporadic travel

Default Planning for sporadic travel

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, Logan here. Long time reader and first time poster. I have to say first of all how much I appreciate this community and Rip’s work. Recently have finally been able to train myself to look down during squats and I have to say it’s amazing how much difference it makes. Anyway, sorry for rambling. First, here’s my stats:

Weight: 210lbs
    Lifts:
    Squat 245lbs(just stalled today, resetting to 220 next workout(
    Bench 170lbs(just had first reset from 190 a few weeks ago)
    Press 110(just had first reset from 125)
    Deadlift 270
    Clean 135

I’ve started to stall a bit, today with squats and a few weeks ago with bench and press. Now, I don’t think these are “legitimate” resets. They are due to my work suddenly going from 0 travel, to every other week being out of town for 3 days. This has caused me to only be able to get one or two workouts at best during weeks I travel. It’s pretty annoying as the hotels I’ve been staying in have nothing heavier than 35lb dumbbells. So now that I know im going to be traveling a lot, I’m thinking about how to program my workouts to best continue progressing with the lifts on weeks I’ll only be able to do two workouts. I was thinking something along the lines of hitting 5x5 squats/bench and 5x3 cleans one day and 3x3 squats and 5x5 press with a single work set of dead’s the other day. Not Ideal, but at least I’ll be hitting all the lifts. I’m interested to hear any thoughts on this plan or suggestions on how to tweak it. Thank you in advance!

Also, one other question I had was when is it best to drop pressing movement weight increases from 5 to 2 lbs per workout? I’ve reset both bench and press but am still using 5lb jumps, is it better to drop at this point, or after the next stall?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Drop the press and bench increments now. I like to do so well before a stall, so the best time was a few weeks ago, the second best time is now.

For travel, it really depends on the specifics. Can you make it to a local gym, since 99.9% of hotel gyms lack the equipment to do the program? That's really the best option. One of the great things about the proliferation of crossfit is how easily accessible gyms are all over the country that are actually equipped to squat, press, and pull, unlike most standard commercial gyms.

Hey Coach Wolf, thank you for taking the time to respond. Switching to 2lb increments tomorrow aiming to milk the program for what it’s worth. I may be able to do a drop in at a local gym some weeks, but not reliably as my work trips are very demanding of my schedule. Assuming I can get to a gym one night while I travel 50% of the time, would you cycle back the weights on weeks where it’s not possible to train more than 1-2 nights, or just repeat the last work weight for the next workout? I’m patient and try not to be greedy with my gains, but on the other side I don’t want to get stuck needlessly cycling back so frequently.

I think you have to try to not go back as much as possible, but accept that sometimes you will. Weeks where you miss one workout, don't go back at all. Weeks where you miss 2, so it's been a week since you trained, assume you'll move up to the next weight but if you can't, drop back 5-15% to complete the sets as reps and then work back up in increments big enough that it doesn't take too long and you're not just getting back to where you already were by your next trip.

Thanks coach? This plan sits with me a lot better than constantly cycling back. I’ll report back after a couple of months and let you know how it goes. Happy New Year!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldawg2k View Post
    Thanks coach?
    YOUR WELCOME LDAWGGY DAWG?

Sorry, I had to. Happy New Year!