starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Supplementation ?

Default Bench Supplementation ?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have a question regards to where to add a couple of bench supplementary exercises.

I'm thinking for my bench which is my weakest lift to have a heavy day and a rep day and using this idea i saw on youtube of all places here's the link YouTube

which is basically for heavy day 80-85% of 1 rep max for 1x4 1x3 1x2 1x max reps all done with the same weight...if you get 5 or more reps on the last set you increase the weight on the next heavy day.
    For the reps day you use 70-75% of your 1 rep max and do 3 or 4 sets of max reps for each set ie only stopping when you know you won't complete the next rep, if you get 25 total reps for 3 sets you increase the weight and if you get 30 total reps for 4 sets you increase the weight.

I would still like to do some close grip benching and or some paused benching to supplement the bench but not sure how or where to program them in i was thinking of just adding them straight after bench but not sure which way round ie do i do close grip bench after benching on my heavy day and paused bench after my reps bench day or vise versa so what do you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Current 5RM?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Current 5RM?
    I'm 52 years old, height 5ft 3 and weigh between 64-65kg my 5RM is about 65kg

Just do the program as written and gain about 20 pounds of bodyweight.

again,
    what country(s) is this that measures feet and inches, and KGs?

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    again,
    I'm not sure what that has to do with the question unless your just an idiot that likes to try and provoke from behind a keyboard.......ffs grow up

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    again,
    They probably do it in Puerto Rico. :-) You pump gas in liters, and most of the road signs are in MPH, although some exit signs on the freeway are in KPH.

Quote Originally Posted by Tredaway View Post
    I have a question regards to where to add a couple of bench supplementary exercises.

I'm thinking for my bench which is my weakest lift to have a heavy day and a rep day and using this idea i saw on youtube of all places here's the link YouTube

which is basically for heavy day 80-85% of 1 rep max for 1x4 1x3 1x2 1x max reps all done with the same weight...if you get 5 or more reps on the last set you increase the weight on the next heavy day.
    For the reps day you use 70-75% of your 1 rep max and do 3 or 4 sets of max reps for each set ie only stopping when you know you won't complete the next rep, if you get 25 total reps for 3 sets you increase the weight and if you get 30 total reps for 4 sets you increase the weight.

I would still like to do some close grip benching and or some paused benching to supplement the bench but not sure how or where to program them in i was thinking of just adding them straight after bench but not sure which way round ie do i do close grip bench after benching on my heavy day and paused bench after my reps bench day or vise versa so what do you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    I would run the LP program first, but when it starts to die out, there are a few options you can use for extra supplementation. You can get some ideas for programmatic structure from PPST. But here is some of the stuff I've done in the past.

- More bench frequency. Right now I'm benching 3x per week. The extra work can help. Something like your current setup could be implemented like that.

- Secondary bench exercises- this could be OHP, incline bench, paused bench, etc. Rotating things can help. Many of these exercises will allow you to go lighter but still put in some hard work.

- Assistance exercises- Extra tricep work is nice. Many programs around here recommend LTE's. I like doing cables more, but really anything will work.

- Overloads- I really like using a slingshot for some of my benching. You can overload the movement which gives you a lot more tricep work. Right now I just built a home gym, so I'm pretty much limited to these kids of variations since I have no machines (or even an ez bar). But after a day like 475 for 7 sets of 3, with the last rep on a 2ct pause, you really feel it in your triceps. Make sure you still do normal benching so that continues to increase.

Best of luck! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hahn View Post
    I would run the LP program first, but when it starts to die out, there are a few options you can use for extra supplementation. You can get some ideas for programmatic structure from PPST. But here is some of the stuff I've done in the past.

- More bench frequency. Right now I'm benching 3x per week. The extra work can help. Something like your current setup could be implemented like that.

- Secondary bench exercises- this could be OHP, incline bench, paused bench, etc. Rotating things can help. Many of these exercises will allow you to go lighter but still put in some hard work.

- Assistance exercises- Extra tricep work is nice. Many programs around here recommend LTE's. I like doing cables more, but really anything will work.

- Overloads- I really like using a slingshot for some of my benching. You can overload the movement which gives you a lot more tricep work. Right now I just built a home gym, so I'm pretty much limited to these kids of variations since I have no machines (or even an ez bar). But after a day like 475 for 7 sets of 3, with the last rep on a 2ct pause, you really feel it in your triceps. Make sure you still do normal benching so that continues to increase.

Best of luck! :-)
    Thanks for your input Les, i have been using very basic linear progression programs for a couple of years now and whilst it has allowed me to achieve a 2x bodyweight squat and a 2.5 x bodyweight deadlift it hasn't really done anything for my bench.

I know that Mark is correct regards gaining more bodyweight etc however as i'm approaching 53 years of age i know if i was to put on the weight he recommended it would just go on as fat as my metabolism isn't what it used to be, so whilst i don't mind gaining a few more pounds i don't think i want to add 20lbs

I only train to keep in reasonable shape and for increased strength i'm not going to be competing against anybody but myself, my goal is a 1.5 x bodyweight bench so once again by gaining an extra 20lbs in bodyweight that would just move me further away from my goal whilst gaining a fat belly.

You mentioned benching more often which is something i haven't really done before as i usually bench once a week and perform close grip bench press once a week on a separate session that's why the programme for bench i was looking at appealed as it has you bench twice a week.

when you mentioned using secondary exercises such as paused bench etc do you perform these straight after your regular bench work and if so would you include your paused bench on your heavy day or lighter day or does it not really matter ?

Thanks again

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tredaway View Post
    I'm not sure what that has to do with the question unless your just an idiot that likes to try and provoke from behind a keyboard.......ffs grow up
    I laughed so hard I spit water out of my nose. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast