starting strength gym

Thread: Should I Do LP?

Default Should I Do LP?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all! So, I’ve been weight training for quite a while now, but have only recently discovered the Starting Strength model and am curious if you think I can still benefit from running an LP. I’m a 30 year old male, 185 pounds, 5’9”. I bulked up from 135 over the past few years using other barbell training programs.

Current 5rm on the lifts:
    Squat: 250x5
    Bench:250x5
    Deadlift: 335x5
    Press: 150x5

Obviously the Squat is my weakest lift. I feel like I could probably benefit from an LP on Squat and probably Deadlift as well. Not sure about the upper body lifts through.

I’d apprecoate any advice of the type of program I could run here! Thanks in advance.

No way to know for sure, but probably. If you've only recently discovered SS, then - like many many people before you, myself included - there will be many technique adjustments to make, which is perfect to do in the context of an LP. Back up to a weight where you can execute them perfectly, which may be an ego-crushingly light weight or may be reasonably close to where you are now, but more likely the former. Then go up from there every workout.

Once you do that, you'll likely either get past where you are now, or else really close, at which point when the LP runs out, you switch to an Intermediate program, usually an HLM variant of some kind.

I've seen this work so many times that I've lost count, yes, for people who already have years of lifting using other methods and ways. If you're one of the few who it doesn't work for, you should know within a few weeks, at which point you don't stand on ceremony and change gears to a more appropriate program.

But I recommend getting your form checked for SS model compliance, and then re-setting not to an arbitrary low weight, but to about 5-10% less than the heaviest weight you can keep that form correct with, so you have 3-4 workouts to cement the new technique in, before you butt up against that limit - and then from there, you go up every time again until you can't.

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much Michael! I truly appreciate the feedback. I’ll do an LP, and then take it from there!