starting strength gym

Thread: DL starting well ahead of SQ

Default DL starting well ahead of SQ

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’m coming to SSNLP (just started last week) with some deadlift experience, but as a rank novice in the squat and bench/press.

I recently pulled 290 x 5, and 300 x 2 just before that.

But my first squat work sets were 115. Bar speed slowed and I lost upper back tightness at 125.

I’m not sure if I should:
    1) Keep going with DL +5, 3x/week, as long as possible, before switching to power clean (also a novice there). Squat gap would close gradually.
    2) Keep DL 3x/week, but drop back a bit (255?) and work it back up, allowing the squat to catch up a bit?
    3a) Start right out with alternating power cleans, meaning +7.5lbs/week DL average vs 15+/week squat gain.
    3b) DL once per week, chins once, power cleans once. So +5 deadlift gain while squats gain 15+/week.
    4) Re-build DL completely (3x/week) at +100 from squat (so start back at ~225) and build back up at the same rate as squat

Any insight is appreciated, thank you.

I'd go with option 3a to start. Your DL training experience might make it so that you can't keep going +5lbs, six times a month for as long as you're able to keep adding weight to your squat, so you can switch to to 3b once that happens.

Excellent, thank you! 3a it is, until I need to switch to 3b.