starting strength gym

Thread: Question about GGW, BBJ and HIIT for an intermediate

Default Question about GGW, BBJ and HIIT for an intermediate

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    OK, after wanting to start BBJ last year, I decided to drive my deadlift to 600# in 2018.

So, I finally just started BJJ (plan is to become proficient and then add Maui Thai or Judo). I recently bought Baker's Power building, but I'm not sure that at 47, I can run that program concurrent with training BJJ 2-3 X a week. However, I also have garage gym warrior, which contains less overall volume than PB. If I run GGW, with the modification of running it every third day rather than 3X a week, would that be OK with BJJ. Also, I have a full gym at work (and at the local YMCA), so I can work out on BJJ days or non BJJ days. Is it critical to separate weight and BJJ days?

My goal is to still increase strength, even if at a significantly reduced pace than if I weren't practicing BJJ.

Also, currently, I am doing HIIT every 4-5 days as follows: 30 second prowler (or powered off treadmill) sprints followed by 2 minutes rest, for a total of 5 sprints. Should I modify this to optimize for BJJ? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for your input.

You can do an HLM but you are going to have to strategically place your lifting sessions. You might want to seek out Chad Wesley Smith as he is an elite powerlifter who happens to do BJJ at the same time. Your sport outside of the gym should take care of conditioning for the most part but you may find you need to add in some LISS or some intervals. Good luck

From personal experience, I wouldn't do HLM while training for BJJ. I'd do a 2-day/week program and just hit the core lifts. If you want to do BJJ three times a week I'd do something like this:

Day 1: Lift (Squat/Bench/Chins)
    Day 2: BJJ
    Day 3: Recovery/Light Conditioning
    Day 4: Lift (Light Squat/Press/Deadlift)
    Day 5: BJJ
    Day 6: BJJ
    Day 7: Rest

Also, depending on where you are training BJJ they will probably want you to do their conditioning program. This is a mixed bag; a lot of times this will be kettlebells, bodyweight stuff, and deadlifts. Also, you will probably get nutrition advice is also a mixed bag; lots of paleo adherents and supplement gurus. Yoga/mobility stuff will also be pushed, which you might enjoy (I personally enjoy yoga quite a bit).

I do not know how you would program strength while training muy thai; my experience was that muy thai (and the associated conditioning/hardening) was one of the most brutal things I have ever attempted. I decided to focus on boxing instead. If you are a solid BJJ/boxing guy you are going to be a tough hombre.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by atw_abn View Post
    From personal experience, I wouldn't do HLM while training for BJJ. I'd do a 2-day/week program and just hit the core lifts. If you want to do BJJ three times a week I'd do something like this:

Day 1: Lift (Squat/Bench/Chins)
    Day 2: BJJ
    Day 3: Recovery/Light Conditioning
    Day 4: Lift (Light Squat/Press/Deadlift)
    Day 5: BJJ
    Day 6: BJJ
    Day 7: Rest

Also, depending on where you are training BJJ they will probably want you to do their conditioning program. This is a mixed bag; a lot of times this will be kettlebells, bodyweight stuff, and deadlifts. Also, you will probably get nutrition advice is also a mixed bag; lots of paleo adherents and supplement gurus. Yoga/mobility stuff will also be pushed, which you might enjoy (I personally enjoy yoga quite a bit).

I do not know how you would program strength while training muy thai; my experience was that muy thai (and the associated conditioning/hardening) was one of the most brutal things I have ever attempted. I decided to focus on boxing instead. If you are a solid BJJ/boxing guy you are going to be a tough hombre.

Best of luck!
    Were you able to at least maintain strength levels with the 2 X/week schedule? did you do a 5 X 5 or something like 5,5, 3(+10%), 2 (+5%), 8-10 (-20%) in order to get the entire spectrum of strength rep ranges in 1 workout?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    You can do an HLM but you are going to have to strategically place your lifting sessions. You might want to seek out Chad Wesley Smith as he is an elite powerlifter who happens to do BJJ at the same time. Your sport outside of the gym should take care of conditioning for the most part but you may find you need to add in some LISS or some intervals. Good luck
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Were you able to at least maintain strength levels with the 2 X/week schedule? did you do a 5 X 5 or something like 5,5, 3(+10%), 2 (+5%), 8-10 (-20%) in order to get the entire spectrum of strength rep ranges in 1 workout?
    I'd have to find my training logs, but I don't remember ever getting weaker during that time in my life. The guys I was training with did 5/3/1 with FSL and Joker sets. It was simpler than it sounds, but probably more complicated than necessary. I imagine you could probably do Andy Baker's K.I.S.S. program that you can find on Google.

However, if you deadlift 600+ you are already stronger than 99% of all BJJ guys in the world. Period. So if you just maintain your strength you'll still be fine. The fun part is getting submitted by guys that probably can't ever deadlift 315 lbs

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by atw_abn View Post
    I'd have to find my training logs, but I don't remember ever getting weaker during that time in my life. The guys I was training with did 5/3/1 with FSL and Joker sets. It was simpler than it sounds, but probably more complicated than necessary. I imagine you could probably do Andy Baker's K.I.S.S. program that you can find on Google.

However, if you deadlift 600+ you are already stronger than 99% of all BJJ guys in the world. Period. So if you just maintain your strength you'll still be fine. The fun part is getting submitted by guys that probably can't ever deadlift 315 lbs
    I fully expect to have my ass handed to me by guys who can't deadlift 225: motivation to develop my game!