starting strength gym

Thread: 8,5,2 on a weekly cycle?

Default 8,5,2 on a weekly cycle?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Has anyone tried Baker's 8,5,2 on a weekly cycle. For a while, I've been running front squats as follows (lift every third day unless schedule dictates only a 2 day rest)

Day 1- 3 sets of 8

Day 4 - 3 sets of 5, 1 rep with anticipated day 7 weight

Day 7 - 3 sets of 2, add 5 pounds and do 1 rep.

Day 13 - add 10 (then 5 pounds after a few cycles) pounds and repeat process.

I started out conservatively using 65, 75 and 85% of my estimated 1RM and and I've been running this for 8 cycles so far with no signs of slowing down, although I am adding 5# per week instead of 10. I do "superset" squats with presses or pulls, depending on which equipment is available. But for work sets, I use a timer and do a squat, wait 4 min. then a set of presses and wait 4 min., assuring a full full 8 minutes between squat sets. (and press sets).

Is there an innate, long term issue to running this way. In other words, am I setting myself up for crash and burn?

Yeah, you will probably crash and burn once the weight starts getting heavy. I don't see a compelling reason to change the protocol from how I've been using it for like 10+ years. With this program I've had best results with training each lift heavy 1x/week. For some people I program them to do a light squat on their deadlift day. And when I use this program I fill in the trainees volume needs with supplemental and assistance work.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Yeah, you will probably crash and burn once the weight starts getting heavy. I don't see a compelling reason to change the protocol from how I've been using it for like 10+ years. With this program I've had best results with training each lift heavy 1x/week. For some people I program them to do a light squat on their deadlift day. And when I use this program I fill in the trainees volume needs with supplemental and assistance work.
    OK, then. I thought I had a reasonable rationale for doing it this way, but I will adjust my programming to be as written. Thanks for chiming in before I screwed myself.

One other question: I am new to judo/jujitsu 2-3X a week for 1.5 hours. Is 8,5,2 compatible or should I ditch it for a GGW or similar HLM program.