starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by David Sanders View Post
    As well as running in formation or runnimg with Soldiers.
    Are you in the US Army? If so you're doing the 2 mile APFT, right?

Yes

Yes
    A couple of thoughts:

If you're falling out of runs now you have no option but to reduce your lifting and focus on running. This sucks, but it's the nature of the beast. You could Squat/Press one day and Deadlift/Bench another. Add weight when you can.

If you just need to improve your 2-mile I'd keep lifting 3 days a week (M/W/F) with Wednesday being a light squat day. This is probably good advice for all military folks that need to run. I'd then add a day of running intervals on Tuesday (400m x 8, 800m x 4, etc) and run 2 miles as hard as you can every Saturday. I do this anytime I have an APFT coming up.

Eat lots of food; don't restrict carbs.

Good luck!!!

So the issue is that I've had a profile for several years so that I don't have to run my PFT. This is a result of 2 left achilles tears. This allowed me to take an alternate PFT event. The Army is now implementing a new PFT. The guidance now is that there will be no alternate event requiring me to run or get out. This is why I'm pushing the running.

So the issue is that I've had a profile for several years so that I don't have to run my PFT. This is a result of 2 left achilles tears. This allowed me to take an alternate PFT event. The Army is now implementing a new PFT. The guidance now is that there will be no alternate event requiring me to run or get out. This is why I'm pushing the running.
    The passing score is 18:00 for r the ACFT. That's not a blistering pace for 2 miles.

You have to do this or find other employment. So start running. The Maffetone Method is good and you can definitely lift twice a week while doing it. It's very easy to do if you use a HR monitor. You can also do the Couch To 5k program which will take you from being sedentary to running 3 miles.

There's no shortcuts; you're going to have to put in the miles.

Thanks. I have no issues putting in the effort. I was just looking for guidance with programming strength around what I feel is a must run situation.

How are your achilles' doing now? Are they a limiting factor? If so you might consider doing some of your conditioning in a lower impact modality (rowing, bike, sled), and ramping up the running volume gradually to avoid reinjury.
    The army also seems to be investing more in wellness programs. I know at the pentagon they do gait analysis and have a corrective exercise guy, along with other services like a nutritionist and bodpod. Most of their services seem to be underutilized. Might be worth checking what they have at your location, particularly if you're concerned about reinjuring the achilles'.

Achilles are better but taking it slow. I have all those services and use them! Amazing!

Coach Rip, yes I have MS.
    One of the ways people with MS have managed the disease is by keeping the inflammatory load to a minimum. Keep this in mind as you run.

starting strength coach development program
    I will chime in and advise to get some good running shoes as well. One thing I always saw in my 22 years was people trying to either get discount Nike's or some other off brand, or wear the ones they had for several years past their shelf life. Like a good lifter, a good running shoe will help with some of that pain and discomfort as well. Good Luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast