starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing easy reps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagr446 View Post
    405 went up smooth at the start and the last few inches it slowed. I took 445 (~89%) got it an inch off the ground and couldn’t get it past there. The next 5 weeks are a mix between 75-85% for volume and 90-95% for intensity. I’m thinking stay strong in the 75-85% range and hope it’s there come meet day?
    Bench and Squat feel strong as ever.
    How long are your rest periods?

What does your training split look like? Are you doing squat and deadlift on the same day?

Have you fixed your sleep situation?

Have you changed anything in your deadlift technique recently?

When was the last time you filmed yourself deadlifting?

I'm glad your squat and bench are going well.
    Scott Acosta, SSC, Westside Barbell Coach, USAPL Coach, Nice Guy
    essentialbarbell@yahoo.com
    For the love of God, just do the fucking program

For DL usually 2-3 minutes.

Monday - Bench Intensity with some assistance volume, Tuesday - Sq or DL Intensity with light assistance for the non Intensity lift, Weds - Planks and or Ab Wheel, Bike for active recovery or weighted carries, Thursday - Bench Volume with Press work and some tris, Friday - Squat volume and DL volume (about 2/3 to 1/2 of the Sq volume) Sat/Sun Planks, Bike.

I have fixed sleep/stress

No changes in DL technique, stance is very narrow, maybe 2-3 inches between my heels

I have not filmed myself for a while DL

Thanks for all the help, my pre-meet prep was a ton of volume on everything. It's been cut way down for the meet prep, I put on a couple pounds and I'm feeling very strong, minus of course the DL. I did the current 7 week peaking program twice before with great results.

For DL usually 2-3 minutes.

Monday - Bench Intensity with some assistance volume, Tuesday - Sq or DL Intensity with light assistance for the non Intensity lift, Weds - Planks and or Ab Wheel, Bike for active recovery or weighted carries, Thursday - Bench Volume with Press work and some tris, Friday - Squat volume and DL volume (about 2/3 to 1/2 of the Sq volume) Sat/Sun Planks, Bike.

I have fixed sleep/stress

No changes in DL technique, stance is very narrow, maybe 2-3 inches between my heels

I have not filmed myself for a while DL

Thanks for all the help, my pre-meet prep was a ton of volume on everything. It's been cut way down for the meet prep, I put on a couple pounds and I'm feeling very strong, minus of course the DL. I did the current 7 week peaking program twice before with great results.
    You need much longer rest than 2-3 minutes. The early warm-up sets don't need much rest, but try giving yourself more time before your last DL warmup. Increase your rest between work sets to 5 minutes.
    It's also possible that you're not quite recovered from the squat and DL volume on Friday.
    You said Tuesday is Squat OR DL intensity. So you do a heavy squat or DL once every 2 weeks?

On this program yes, Week 1 is hit a Sq single in 90-95% maybe a new max. Then some rack pulls, Week 2 (current) Heavy single in 90-95% with DL, Pause Sqs, Week 3 a couple sets of 2 at 90% of last meet or Week 1 number for Sq, Week 4 DL one set of 2 at 90-95% of last meet or week 2. Fridays are always Sq Volume between 15-30 reps at 75-85% and Deadlift or SLDL for 12-18 reps with roughly the same percent.

Before this I was hitting something like 3x3 Squat with DL volume and later in the week 3x3 DL with volume sq

I'll rest more between 405 and 455 and work sets. That should have been a no brainier.

Oh, and I suggest sending in a form check. I don't want to comment on your stance or setup because I haven't seen you.

Before this I was hitting something like 3x3 Squat with DL volume and later in the week 3x3 DL with volume sq
    This makes a lot more sense IMO.

I'll deff get a form check video sent in.

So going back to a split with Sq Intensity and DL volume on one day, then DL Intensity and Sq volume on the other would be better than one ramped up set(s) every other week?

I'll deff get a form check video sent in.

So going back to a split with Sq Intensity and DL volume on one day, then DL Intensity and Sq volume on the other would be better than one ramped up set(s) every other week?
    I'm saying simplicity is usually better. When progress stalls it's much easier to figure out what went wrong. And I do prefer Squat intensity/DL volume alternated with DL intensity/Squat volume work most of the year. The exception to this is during the final meet prep. To build a reliable plan it's prudent to do at least 1 workout with Squat, bench, deadlift, in that order and with longer rest periods, working up to 1st and 2nd attempts.
    Last edited by Scott.Acosta; 01-18-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Makes a lot of sense. The reason for the misses has a ton of factors instead of one or two.

starting strength coach development program
    i videoed some light singles last night for form check. Can’t seem to find where I can up load them though

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast